Worlds biggest ship on quest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worlds biggest ship on quest.

One of the guys doing the model tests for parametric roll for the triple E class just said that "the biggest waves in reality is 8m"

Now i know 8m is big, but its not the biggest. Seems a little worrying.

West of Shetland in winter 2011 - Hurricane bawbag any1? I reckon I seen 16m waves ...

Comment

Early 80's on a rig shift we got caught stern to in a force 12 in the North Sea on the bridle on a Maersk Anchor Handler because the rig only got 3 anchors down with no piggy backs before the weather got too bad to lay anchors and we had to run in on the final heading in front of the weather and so had to sit on the bridle in case she dragged anchors. The waverider buoy was measuring 68 feet peak to trough waves at the peak and we were all sick as dogs. It was the first time I knew we had storm flaps on the funnels to prevent water going down the funnels. Bloody loud banging noises every time they slammed shut.

8 metres! - PAH!
      "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
      "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

8mtr is they they recon is a normal regular big wave not the specisl waves
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Just a reminder Next episode is on quest tonight at 2200
          ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I set it to record, but theres going to be a delay getting it to Guinessman seeing as Im on a ship for the next 3 months.
            Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

It's that time of the week again - next episode on Quest in 10 minutes :-)
              ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
              myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

"It's full steam ahead, for the Triple E."

Technically not correct, due to Maersk Line's Slow Steaming Programme. Although, the final episode was the highlight of the series. On the whole I thoroughly enjoyed the series.
                C

Comment

Really? Better not tell the triple e's then....full speed for them is 21 kts and so far thats what they are running round.

Oh and as for slow steaming......we've heard about it here on the L class and decided it's for whimps....doing 24kts this morning up the English Channel, max power max rpm.........zooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmm
                  Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                  Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                  No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Working...
                  X