Greenpeace activists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenpeace activists

I can't believe some people are silly enough to attempt to board a Russian rig. Rather them than me...

http://gcaptain.com/russia-greenpeace-arctic-activists/

So is that a private firm or the russian government? I can't see holding them at gunpoint on the helideck going down very well...

Comment

Russian Special Forces apparently...
      (Sourced from the Greenpeace video so I could very well be wrong)

Comment

Pesky eco warriors! Wonder if it classes as an act of piracy? (extra danger money??)

Comment

I know someone who was an Chief Ekectrician on Rainbow, sounded like a lot of fun, but I reckon it's a career stopper.

Comment

Nah, sailed with an engineer at Foreland who was ex Greepeace. He was able to get sponsored reservist status as well so don't think it has to be a problem.

I'm a bit split on this one. As much as I think that what they did is ridiculous and needed to be stopped I also think that drilling for oil in the Arctic is a spectacularly stupid idea.
            Go out, do stuff

Comment

Regardless of your thoughts and opinions on the Environment , going head to head with Russians in their own back yard is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by bobofinga View Post
                Regardless of your thoughts and opinions on the Environment , going head to head with Russians in their own back yard is stupid.
                And rather hypocritical by GP! Using fossil fuels to go around climbing on and off rigs, tankers, etc.

Same as the muppets that used the a van to show up to a petrol station in London, pull out all the metal fencing and shut the place down in protest at oil usage during the deep water horizon spill....
                I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Not a career stopper. I sailed with a 2/O who was ex Greenpeace and we were both working for an oil major, of course that guy was a complete tit. Personally I think Greenpeace are THE most hypocritical organisation going who only go after the sensationalist protests hopefully Boris/Ivan gives them a good tanking.

Comment

Originally posted by IFHP View Post
                    Not a career stopper. I sailed with a 2/O who was ex Greenpeace and we were both working for an oil major, of course that guy was a complete tit. Personally I think Greenpeace are THE most hypocritical organisation going who only go after the sensationalist protests hopefully Boris/Ivan gives them a good tanking.
                    Then hopefully they give Sea Shepherd mob some as well...
                    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

http://gcaptain.com/russia-greenpeace-arctic-activists/

Seems to have escalated

Comment

Oh I do love twitter!

Comment

The Arctic is so unique and fragile the idea of drilling and oil exploration on a mass scale is rather abhorrent to me..... but I'm bang out of ideas for an alternative!
                          Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

Originally posted by Inland Pirate View Post
                            So is that a private firm or the russian government? I can't see holding them at gunpoint on the helideck going down very well...
                            Well heres the joke, this "pro-active" actions, normally more popular with Sea Shepherd, not Green peace, actually endanger the environment a lot more! Possible accidents that could cause oil pollution or fire or death to personnel too. And then they would still blame the co-operate companies despite their pirate/terrorist like actions.

Generally Greenpeace does a lot of observation and collection of evidence, which is fair enough, I respect them for that. But I have no time for people boarding, or getting dangerously close to other vessels or rigs. Sea Shepherd is a complete sham. If you watch their television program, you have to wonder why the Australians don't impound the ships, they break so many regulations and laws in the ship and with their ship manouvres and actions! I just don't understand how Sea Shepherd gets away with it!

We had a 2EO ex Sea Shepherd. Not a career stopper. Was a descent chap when sober, bit of an ass in the pub. Average as an engineer I guess. Could learn how to bend copper piping with out completely flattening it.... But makes you wonder when you see videos like this from Rainbow Warrior...

Hmm Just read Sea Shepherd has rammed a Oil Tanker this year in the Antarctic. Blood morons going to cause a massive environmental disaster. Leave Fishery Patrol to real ships like mine.

As for oil rig in Arctic. Well solution is change to renewable energy for everything, otherwise the arctics going to melt wether there is an oil rig there or not!

Comment

The tanker they "Rammed" was trying to refuel the Japanese ships. I believe that one of the SS ships was sitting between the tanker and the Jap ship to try and stop them re-fueling and was sandwiched between them when the Jap ship tried to force SS out of the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X