Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guardian Ship Protection System. (Anti-Piracy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardian Ship Protection System. (Anti-Piracy)

This was e-mailed to me by a friend, its really clever, cheap and much safer then razor wire or such. British Commandos stated it was impossible to board a ship with this new British invention.

Take time to have a look, I expect we'll be seeing a lot more of this simple invention.

http://marineautosecuritysolutions.com/

I don't know, I've seen a fair few of these "stops everyone from getting on board!" devices come along and whilst all have seemed very interesting and capable, I think i'd rather stick with the armed guards as they definitely work....
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
      I think i'd rather stick with the armed guards as they definitely work....
      Well thats what I think, but the problem is your ships insurance normally, as often is made void by armed guards.

Royal Marines on the other hand can deploy on any British flagged vessel and not effect insurance. Why we don't do this like the Dutch and Chinese!

Comment

Surely you would just need a different shaped ladder?

As for "slowing the kinetic force of a bullet"....
        Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
          Surely you would just need a different shaped ladder?

As for "slowing the kinetic force of a bullet"....
          That was my thought, but then I realsied it was plastic and you just need an axe or say an ak47 or rpg to break it up... But similar to razor wire, its pretty easy to attack.

As for the bullet thing, ugh thats PR for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dosedmonkey View Post
            Well thats what I think, but the problem is your ships insurance normally, as often is made void by armed guards.

Royal Marines on the other hand can deploy on any British flagged vessel and not effect insurance. Why we don't do this like the Dutch and Chinese!
            Deploying armed guards doesnt void the insurance provided you have flag state approval. It knocks the premiums around a bit, but it certainly doesnt void it.

Plus, if you go with a decent outfit, then they come with their own insurance and what not...

Sent from the Batcave via carrier pigeon....

Comment

Surely having armed guards should reduce your insurance premiums given that it significantly reduces the chance of being hijacked? I guess the increase is due to having to insure automatic weapons on board?

Anyway looks an interesting concept but would still like armed guards thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
                Surely having armed guards should reduce your insurance premiums given that it significantly reduces the chance of being hijacked? I guess the increase is due to having to insure automatic weapons on board?

Anyway looks an interesting concept but would still like armed guards thanks.
                It won't reduce them as you're still in a high risk area, albeit one that's been very quiet the last several months.

Armed guards do not carry automatic weapons normally, they tend to be fixed to single shot. The reason being is that they have to account for each and every round fired, and if it was "Spray and Pray" then they would be in a whole world of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                  Armed guards do not carry automatic weapons normally, they tend to be fixed to single shot. The reason being is that they have to account for each and every round fired, and if it was "Spray and Pray" then they would be in a whole world of trouble.

Auto/semi auto rifles...

Fully auto MG...

You'll find people will pick semi auto rifles, like the M14, as you are firing at some range ship to skiff and they have greater accrucy.

Being in international waters, you don't need to account for rounds fired in to open sea. They just count as warning shots or target practice.

I work on fishery protection, and there is quite a lot of interesting videos of the Russian fishery protection videos, this is one I reconise, wrongly labeled as pirates, they are illegal fishermen.

Comment

Just because youre in international waters does not mean youre not under any jurisdiction. Youre under the flag states jurisdiction and laws and believe me, if you leave with fewer bullets than you boarded with then they want to know where and when they were used.

Also, I cant imagine the likes of PVI or GOAGT (both very reputable providers of armed guards) showing up with what looks like a dshka. Its complete overkill. I would imagine this is one of the less reputable Russian outfits.

Ill have a look tomorrow and see what the last lot carried but I know one group weve had on board before turned up with the old FN SLRs....

Sent from the Batcave via carrier pigeon....

Comment

I second that from Guinessman - I know a lot of private security guys that are all ex RM and Para, its all SLR and EVERY bullet has to be accounted for no exceptions.

Comment

As I explained, its quite easy to account for your shots.

We used to go around shooting to flood unarmed illegal fishing vessels who refused to stop. Quite a lot of warning shots and misses there. Its a lot harder to flood something then you'd think.

What rifles do they use then when they are offering protection? I doubt they are only semi-automatic. Of course its all dependant on your flag anyway.

Surely under UK flag, its equal and proportional force for the situation. As long as you can justify that its with in UK LAW. And besides the skiffs aren't UK flagged, so they don't come under UK law. Its like that one on Sea Shepherd where the Dutch flag says they can't throw any more stink bombs from their ship, so they can only do it from the Ribs, as ribs don't have flag.

Comment

I'm all for more deterrents like this. Having Armed Guards onboard has to be bittersweet issue for most Masters, because you essentially have ex military guys trying to deal with a civilian situation, and if one of those weapons is fired without approval from the Master and kills a fisherman or such like the repercussions would be severe. Even the Royal Navy are heavily restricted in their rules of engagement in piracy situations.

Then again, I carry an M4 on watch, so who am I to say what's right?

Comment

Originally posted by YoungMariner View Post
                            Then again, I carry an M4 on watch, so who am I to say what's right?
                            Your a master and you carry an M4? Are you a Yank?

Comment

Haha not a yank. Very much British.

Comment

Working...
                              X