Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British nationals on 'anti-piracy' mission in former navy ship arrested off Senegal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British nationals on 'anti-piracy' mission in former navy ship arrested off Senegal

From the Daily Mail:

Originally posted by Daily Mail Reporter
    Four have-a-go-hero Brits sailing a converted warship to Africa on what they describe as an 'anti-piracy' mission have been arrested off Senegal. Armed marine commandos boarded their decommissioned fast attack gun ship Defender, which has two fearsome-looking cannons, and took them into custody in Dakar.

The Senegalese authorities said the four - all ex-UK servicemen - were detained on suspicion of 'illegal activity'.

The group, led by former Royal Navy submariner Chris Enmarch, had already had the 127ft Defender impounded in the Canary Islands. The Spanish were suspicious that the vessel was registered as a pleasure craft and confiscated their British flag and ordered them to remain in port in Tenerife. But after five weeks on the island the crew gave the authorities the slip - only to be impounded a second time five days later.

The group are reported to be heading to the pirate-infested Gulf of Guinea where they planned to offer security to oil rigs. They insist they are 'not mercenaries' and their boat has no working weapons or ammunition. They left Cornwall on April 16 and before departing Mr Enmarch, from Penryn, said they were going on an anti-piracy mission. He said they were heading to Senegal 'to discuss with the authorities the possible use of the Defender as a deterrent against illegal fishing boats.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2W7OozsJL
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

You couldn't make this **** up! Do you think our fridge chucking friend was onboard?
    Go out, do stuff

Comment

Wouldn't put it past him , loves the spotlight!

Comment

Other companies are out there doing this already, but these guys seem like amateurs in comparison.

Comment

Would be ridiculous if they tried to chase away pirates who then retaliated and they had no fire power...

Comment

Working...
          X