X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Carnival Ship Loses Power

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruise...-loss/2092793/
    Saltydog

Has anyone seen the recent issue of mer. Theres an interview with Carnival uks technical expert whre he chats about propulsion systems, redundancy. Says therecent power outages only affect the older carnival ships.

He also mentions the upgrade programme mentioned here too.

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2089943
    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Thanks for that!
      Saltydog

Comment

LOL, I was on an old P&O ship called the Canberra when we were blacking out around once a month and usually for a damned sight longer than 12 minutes.
        Go out, do stuff

Comment

I dont suppose you had a power man system, must have been manual synching and load demand management.
          Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

hahahaha, the ship was launched in 1961, power management meant a leckie on watch.

The blackouts were generally due to steam problems rather than electrical ones, in fact, quite a few were due to alcohol problems, I remember one particularly spectacular one which was due to a drunken 4th engineer forgetting to change over fuel oil settling tanks and then being too pissed to be able to get suction back on the fuel pump before we ran out of steam.
            Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
              hahahaha, the ship was launched in 1961, power management meant a leckie on watch.

The blackouts were generally due to steam problems rather than electrical ones, in fact, quite a few were due to alcohol problems, I remember one particularly spectacular one which was due to a drunken 4th engineer forgetting to change over fuel oil settling tanks and then being too pissed to be able to get suction back on the fuel pump before we ran out of steam.
              Ha! So far this contract we've not blacked out once yay
              ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
              myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                Ha! So far this contract we've not blacked out once yay
                From an electrical point of view, that ship is a disaster waiting to happen.
                Go out, do stuff

Comment

Working...
                X