Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ship Pilot Dies in Accident off Panama City

Originally posted by http://gcaptain.com/panama-city-ship-pilot-killed/
    While boarding the Pipit Arrow, a 656-foot bulk carrier at the Panama City, FL sea buoy, 73-year old veteran ship pilot and former Coast Guardsman, Captain Frank Knowles, fell from the vessel?s jacob?s ladder and was unable to be immediately recovered in the early morning darkness.

MV Pipit Arrow via ogmoimbituba.com.br
    An emergency helicopter and fixed-wing aircraft from the US Coast Guard were immediately deployed, however two hours later his body was recovered by the Pipit Arrow?s fast rescue craft.
    Full story http://gcaptain.com/panama-city-ship-pilot-killed/
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Oh man that's horrible My thoughts go out to his family and fellow pilots.

Question is, why did he fall? The g-captain article makes no mention of weather conditions, only that it was dark. They also mention that he'd fallen off a ladder before, and that he was 76. I find myself wondering, were the physical requirements of the job a bit much for a 76 year old man? I have no doubt that he was an excellent pilot, seafarer and navigator, and to be fair I have sailed with riggers on the tall ships that were around that age, who were up and down the rigging like monkeys still. But the Panama retirement age is 62, although it is not compulsory.... What are other people's thoughts?

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Just to clarify s4 - it was Panama City, Florida... Not the one in Panama

But yes your point about age is certainly valid.
      ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
      myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Doh!

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Don't think you can generalize that much S4. Their are pensioners who run marathons and teenagers who get out of breath going up a flight of stairs.

Comment

As I said, I've sailed with riggers on the tall ships who were that age and were up and down the rigging like monkeys.

It may well not be that he wasn't fit enough, but all possible contributing factors have to be considered...

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Working...
            X