• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VOS Sailor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-20739526

Oh bloody eck...

RIP to the poor sod....
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Rest In Peace indeed.

There but for the grace of the gods...

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Very sad, when I needed a bit of extra cash moonlighting I once did a trip as mate on one of their old ships, and it was an experience....
      RIP colleague!

Comment

I'll be looking out for the report on this one, have been having a look on Equasis and I noticed:

"Percentage of inspections having led to a detention in last 36 months: 25.0 %"

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
          I'll be looking out for the report on this one, have been having a look on Equasis and I noticed:

"Percentage of inspections having led to a detention in last 36 months: 25.0 %"

That is rather high. Is that for the whole fleet or just the vessel?

Comment

Just that vessel.

Size4riggerboots

Comment

But the company has only had one detention in the last 3 years, which must be this one.

Comment

Agreed. Sadly though, if a ship is in a bad enough state for it to actually be detained, it must be serious. Being allowed to sail doesn't mean that they are suddenly in tip-top condition either. However, we can speculate as much as we like, but the answers won't be given for some time.

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
                  Agreed. Sadly though, if a ship is in a bad enough state for it to actually be detained, it must be serious. Being allowed to sail doesn't mean that they are suddenly in tip-top condition either. However, we can speculate as much as we like, but the answers won't be given for some time.
                  Of course not, and the detention was not for a safety related issue. There was a problem with the anti-fouling certificate, but just looking at the number of deficiencies and the types at the last few inspections does paint a worrying picture of how she is being managed both ashore and on board, especially as quite a few were FFA, LSA and certificate related. When it comes to the certificates, there is nothing more basic in the world of shore-side ship management than making sure that each and every certificate that the vessel has is kept in date. Don't get me wrong, doing that is a mammoth task, but it is a basic task and if the vessel is calling somewhere like Aberdeen on a fairly regular basis, should be a very easy task (it's when they're in places like Africa or South America it becomes an utter ball ache), but it does raise a few questions.

However, I'll await the report before I go commenting further...

Comment

Not meaning to change the subject but how do you find what detentions and deficiencies were for?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget123 View Post
                      Not meaning to change the subject but how do you find what detentions and deficiencies were for?
                      If you click on the inspection and manning tab for the vessel it should be in there. You have to open up each inspection to see what the deficiencies were for, but it doesn't go into much detail. It only says which area, not the actual deficiency and it also doesn't list the PSC code (that tells you how quickly it has to be rectified).

Comment

Working...
                      X