BBC Engineering Giants: Ferry Strip-Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC Engineering Giants: Ferry Strip-Down

Well worth watching for all cadets and future cadets out there... P&O Ferry going through dry dock in the UK...

Was on BBC2 a few minutes ago, available on iPlayer shortly;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01llr67/
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Recorded it last night, only seen first 20 minutes so far. I hope I'll get the chance to be involved in a dry dock at some point in my career!

Comment

Originally posted by Waddo View Post
      Recorded it last night, only seen first 20 minutes so far. I hope I'll get the chance to be involved in a dry dock at some point in my career!
      Oh, you will!

I hope to get the chance never to be involved in another one!
      Go out, do stuff

Comment

For anybody that missed it, its repeated on Friday Night/Saturday Morning at 0030 on BBC 2.
        "Riches don't make a man rich, they only make him busier" Christopher Columbus

Comment

you can also watch it on the link alistair posted, one thing i noticed was how the captain of the sister ship said one day they wouldnt use paper charts, but the way you guys post about them i thought they would always have them?

Comment

Originally posted by Bulman View Post
            you can also watch it on the link alistair posted, one thing i noticed was how the captain of the sister ship said one day they wouldnt use paper charts, but the way you guys post about them i thought they would always have them?
            Providing your vessel meets the requirements you can go fully paperless now... (Currently for a UK flagged vessel to go paperless the vessel requires to be individually approved by the MCA. Specifically it needs to have;

1. Minimum of 2 fully independent (Approved) ECDIS systems both fed by UPS.
            2. Must be using official Hydrographic Office charts.
            3. All deck officers must have had approved type specific training on the ECDIS systems in use onboard a particular ship.
            4. Your company needs to satisfy the MCA that it is safe to operate without paper charts.)

Personally, while I love ECDIS, I still prefer paper charts (if only because it saves you having to refer to a notebook as you can just scribble information all over the chart!). Theres also still a lot of simple things that are a pain in the arse to do on ECDIS (and on some systems its impossible).
            ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
            myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_on_the_Bridge View Post
              For anybody that missed it, its repeated on Friday Night/Saturday Morning at 0030 on BBC 2.
              I think you will find it is Thursday night / Friday morning at 00:30?
              "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
              "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                Oh, you will!

I hope to get the chance never to be involved in another one!
                Haha, ye it certainly looks like hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by Waddo View Post
                  Haha, ye it certainly looks like hard work!
                  It certainly is if you're a deckie on a tanker! Last one I was at, we had them going in and out of the tanks almost constantly throughout the day.

For the engineers, it's equally as busy as you're overhauling nearly everything and if you're the Chief or 2nd, then you are a highly sought after person!
                  I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I see, it appears that not a single part of the ship goes without some sort of maintenance/refurb. Exploring those tanks looks like some very claustrophobic work.

Just spotted the following in the credits of the ferry programme: 'With thanks to Warsash Maritime Academy, Southampton Solent University'. Any ideas what their input was? I'd hazard a guess that some of the diagrams and explanations that featured in the commentary were provided by WMA.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
                      I think you will find it is Thursday night / Friday morning at 00:30?
                      Cheers Hatchorder, it wasnt until I got home at 2130 and set my Sky+ to record it that I realised I had made the mistake.
                      "Riches don't make a man rich, they only make him busier" Christopher Columbus

Comment

Thanks for reminding me about this programme, I saw the first two, but I've been working at the sports day and missed the last one. Iplayer, here I come.
                        "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Working...
                        X