Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shell social media poster campagn goes a bit wrong..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shell social media poster campagn goes a bit wrong..

What did they thing would happen? http://arcticready.com/social/galler...er=DESC&page=1
    shell social media posters copy.jpg

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
    What did they thing would happen? http://arcticready.com/social/galler...er=DESC&page=1
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]226[/ATTACH]
    This isn't actually shell, this is some idiot environmentalist group....
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Awww dammit. Ah well, still funny tho. (I'm not a fan of oil companies, what can I say, I'm a hippy...)

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Awww dammit. Ah well, still funny tho. (I'm not a fan of oil companies, what can I say, I'm a hippy...)
        Seriously? I don't need to give the whole "thats what powers your ship, brings you things, etc" argument do I?

Comment

*sigh*

No, you don't but do I need to give you the whole "oil companies are using their influence to squash development of alternative fuels" schpeil? We could, if we wanted, fuel our diesel cars, and by extrapolation, other things that run on diesel, like ships) on vegetable oil. But it's illegal.. why????

Size4riggerboots

Comment

*sigh*

No, you don't but do I need to give you the whole "oil companies are using their influence to squash development of alternative fuels" schpeil? We could, if we wanted, fuel our diesel cars, and by extrapolation, other things that run on diesel, like ships) on vegetable oil. But it's illegal.. why????
            LOL! Not really no. I don't think oil companies would be crushing alternative fuel technologies. I can't remember where I was reading this but I thought Shell was heavily involved in something like that?

Nothing illegal about it, so long as you pay the duty on it or produce less than X amount each year (can't remember what off hand). The reason it isn't widely used is because it's difficult to use and would require a massive retrofit of ship's engines. To be honest, LNG is a much cleaner burning fuel and a lot of consideration is being put into building more ships with TFDE or DFDE engines. They have a few things to sort out (e.g. bunkering being the major one at the moment) but it is potentially the future (and it would certainly make engineer's lives that bit easier).

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
              . I don't think oil companies would be crushing alternative fuel technologies. I can't remember where I was reading this but I thought Shell was heavily involved in something like that?
              You really think they're going to help make their own industry obsolete?? They may be helping people research it, but I am sure of two things, they will be doing so so that they have control of it, and will only let it be brought to the rest of the world once all the oil has gone.

Size4riggerboots

Comment

You really think they're going to help make their own industry obsolete?? They may be helping people research it, but I am sure of two things, they will be doing so so that they have control of it, and will only let it be brought to the rest of the world once all the oil has gone.
                Shipping companies are all trying their best to reduce their fuel consumptions, it's in Shell's best interests to work towards that. It's going to be a very long time before the oil industry is obsolete...

Comment

So which one did you design?

I knew a hippy who wouldnt wear leather, but was ok with plastic but didnt like oil companies.

And theres a huge difference between making efficient machines and making the fuel obsolete.

as for vegatable fuel, give that many people seem to believe that feeding the population is going to become a major issue, were are we going to grow the fuel and from an enviromental point of view would it be actually better when used across a massive scale
                  you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

If you used all the world's arable land for growing plants for oil you could meet less than 10% of our oil requirements. Not that that would matter as without growing any food we'd all starve to death. Burning veg oil which is no longer suitable for food use and is otherwise waste is fine, but growing it solely for fuel is madness of the worst kind; large areas of Indonesia's rainforest have been cleared for this purpose, mostly by the same scumbags who like chopping down the trees for hardwood yet the product(palm oil) gets labelled as green back here in europe.
                    '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
                    just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
                    down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
                    new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

OK fine we need more than one alternative fuel and we need better alternatives. But how much are we willing to pay environmentally to continue scraping oil out of the last few pristine places we have on earth?

Size4riggerboots

Comment

To be honest the developed world would be better to focus their own efforts to reduced demand through making things efficient. If its possible to build a house that needs no heating source in the uk climate why does almost every house have a boiler, I convinced my folks to replace their boiler, it will have paid for itself in under two years by replacing something that maybe gave 60% to giving 90% and that is without even changing the level of insulation and its not about saving money but about reducing the demand. Similarly things that cant be recycled easily should be discouraged.
                        I was asked by a friend what i would do when the oil ran out, (when talking aobut going to sea on tankers) I explained that if i was arriving at a port to be told theres no more oil we would be having a whole heap of other problems to worry about.
                        And they reckon we will run out of water first so that will be good fun
                        you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

OK fine we need more than one alternative fuel and we need better alternatives. But how much are we willing to pay environmentally to continue scraping oil out of the last few pristine places we have on earth?
                          I agree alternatives need to be found, but the waffle put out by greenpeace et al would see half the world in the poor house and the other half dead from starvation; so many technological blind alleys have been touted as the world's saviour but aren't, wind turbines being a particular bugbear of mine. Short of waiting for an extinction level event to lower the demand for resources mankind's best option for reducing dependency on black gold is technology; tidal, wave, nuclear fusion and fission are the only obvious candidates, and only one of the those is mature. The others have years to run in development. Perhaps even solar can bear fruit with some of the planned Saharan macro arrays, but as even pilot level developments have not been built yet it will be decades rather than years before they enter service.

Christ, that's depressing and it's too early for the pub.
                          '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
                          just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
                          down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
                          new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

Originally posted by penfold View Post
                            Christ, that's depressing and it's too early for the pub.
                            Cut that crazy talk! It's never too early!

Anywho, as a side note, Greenpeace do get on my tits. Farking Hypocrites. I do agree, we need better technology and there are some places looking into it I believe but I've not seen anything promising for a while.

Comment

You sure it was fake GM? Have a look at the Shell Social Media twitter feed!

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Working...
                              X