Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falklands tension: Argentina turns away cruise ships

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17184955
    I wanted to put something profound here...... But then I took an arrow to the knee.

This could swing either way. If the cruise companies just stop visiting Argentina they've cut off their nose to spite their face. Anyone know how much passengers rank visiting Argentina vs looking at penguins and land mines?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      If the cruise companies just stop visiting Argentina they've cut off their nose to spite their face.
      My thoughts exactley.
      I wanted to put something profound here...... But then I took an arrow to the knee.

Comment

They tried to do this 2 years ago when they first started drilling for oil down there when I was sailing out of Ushuaia cruising to Antarctica and Falkland Islands... The local authorities at the time turned a blind eye to us doing it - but obviously something has changed.

They will shoot themselves in the foot - there are plenty of Chilean ports to visit in the Fjords - theres even one 3 miles south of Ushuaia who will more than happily accommodate the cruise ships. Unfortunately its all the local people and businesses in Ushuaia - it's pretty much an "outback town" with no big international businesses everything is local - that will suffer as the entire place is sustained purely by the cruise and expedition industry.

Shame, as its one of the nicest places I have ever been.
        ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Agree re: Ushuaia. Lovely place. Even has an Irish bar, which has a napkin pinned to the wall with my name on!
          sigpic
          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Don't cry for me.....Argentina!

Well, as said, they've now gone and shot themselves in the foot purely for a political cause that will get them no where...

Not to mention, it aint just cruise ship's their scaring away. I've heard the odd rumbling that some of the larger Oil Majors are wondering if it's worth doing business there or not...
            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Working...
            X