• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I left the RN!

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=kTqrhhzrUCg

Still not sure why you left!

Comment

I didn't get it either
      Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

You are more likely to be blown up by the cretins you work with than anyone you are meant to be fighting against!

Comment

you do know the merchant navy is the most dangerous job in the UK Bpomb disposal came 2nd and front line afghanistan came 5th...

and having worked in both the RN and MN worlds i've found the MN to be vastly less professional

Comment

Originally posted by K202 View Post
            you do know the merchant navy is the most dangerous job in the UK Bpomb disposal came 2nd and front line afghanistan came 5th...
            Source for those statistics?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Source for those statistics?
              http://personal.rhul.ac.uk/uhte/020/...ous%20jobs.pdf

http://www.careerbuilder.co.uk/Artic...angerous-Jobs/

Perhaps not the most reliable, but two separate sources nevertheless.

Comment

Most sources seem to mainly focus on merchant fishing, although there are regular news feeds from the MCA and MAIB about regular fatal accidents, and now and again I've read in the papers about people being washed overboard in rough weather.

It's clearly a dangerous job compared to most, a good reminder to be ever vigilant and never get complacent with the health and safety, after all it is designed primarily for industries like ours.

Comment

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Perhaps not the most reliable, but two separate sources nevertheless.
                  The first one gives me a 404.

The usual quote is #1 trawler fishing, #2 other fishing, #3 Merchant Navy. But those are old statistics, probably taken over a period perhaps 1980-2000. A lot has changed since then. It also is not clear what the statistics really mean. Is that British merchant seafarers killed, or people dying on British registered ships (i.e. foreign crews)? If it includes the 1980s then there were a lot more British ratings employed, which will produce another skew.

Until I see a study quoted that makes its age and methods clear I will continue to treat the "most dangerous profession" claims with due scepticism.

Comment

I don't trust these statistics either. For instance a hidden killer in the office workplace is stress with the resulting heart attacks happening at home and not registering as workplace deaths.
                    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Well you know the saying 'lies, damn lies and statistics'.

Its why I laugh when people tell me that fishing is the most dangerous sport in the world, as opposed to things like BASE jumping, bungee jumping or even plain old rugby
                      "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

To be vastly less professional?, a merchant navy officer would not run a new sub aground with a mass of sensor equipment m8
                        Careers at Sea Ambassador
                        4th Officer Holland America Line
                        Relief 2nd Officer Stenaline
                        Training completed with Zodiac Maritime Agencies

Comment

Don't know that would be the case...there's not many merchant subs to play with!!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrKHLQMA_5U

Woops!

Comment

Hahaha, just give us the chance
                              Careers at Sea Ambassador
                              4th Officer Holland America Line
                              Relief 2nd Officer Stenaline
                              Training completed with Zodiac Maritime Agencies

Comment

Working...
                              X