replied
    Re: sceptical....moi?

"Probably Died" Good ole' Russians.....

Leave a comment:

• Malim Sahib
    replied

Scotty,
    Maybe RNR Force protection teams, but I was thinking more along the lines of Royal Marines/Royal Navy ratings, basically people who supposedly know something about ships (cough cough splutter).

Regarding "the club", anyone can join the RNR regardless what company you're in, or indeed not as the case may be.
    Only qualified MN Officers, ex RN Officers and Doctors/Surgeons can enter the RNR directly as an Officer though (after passing an RN AIB!), everyone else must join as a rating.

There are a range of disciplines available to joiners, but most MN types go for the 'Amphibious Warfare' side, basically you're responsible for working with Merchant ships in wartime/planning and supervising Amphibious work etc.
    There seems to be very few MN Engineers in the RNR, and those that are there tend to go for 'deck' disciplines.
    The disciplines required to be covered by RNR personnel are quite specific in nature, so there's very little call for the mechanical skills an MN Engineer has, especially seeing that on a warship most of the traditional tasks of an MN engineer are actually covered by ratings and Petty Officers.

RNR jobs here: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations- ... obs-roles/

Foreland/RFA are different in that they're members of the RNR as a condition of employment, however aside from being 'on the books' the similarity with the normal RNR ends - the training requirements to maintain 'Sponsored Reservist' status are quite different, and they're all on a different Officer 'List'. (RNR Officers are divided onto numerical lists depending on experience and chosen discipline)
    As a Sponsored Reservist with Foreland/RFA you can't be called up to serve either on a Warship or ashore, only on ships within those companies as the SR system is company specific. That doesn't mean to say it can't happen, but the MoD can't legally force you to take up a posting outside your company, you'd have to volunteer.

Normally reservists can of course be called up to serve anywhere and at time, from Plymouth to Afghanistan (there's an RN contingent in Helmand).

Leave a comment:

• dawg
    replied

Originally posted by Malim Sahib
    I think it would be inherently wrong to arm Merchant crews as not only does that unleash a whole can of legal worms, there's also training, competence and specifically modern manning arrangements to consider.
    In my opinion, if you carry an armed guard then they should be properly trained, currently serving Soldiers or Marines who have a clear command structure and defined rules of engagement.
    RNR?

I'd like to join, but the only options seem to be to work for RFA or Foreland.
    I've been told by an RNR Lt. Cdr. that cadets can have trouble satisfying the training reqs... though, they say they are allowed to take officers directly after they complete 9 months at sea with the MN (i.e. once you're qualified, effectively).

I'd give it a go anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Malim Sahib
    replied

I'm not sure that this will escalate things so much, as basically the Russians, in their own inimitable style, have sent a message to the Somalis.
    It's a simple fact that Russian and Israeli flagged ships are rarely attacked, both off Somalia and in the Malacca Straits/South China Sea.
    Out there, every Zim Line or Russian ship would have their funnels brightly lit up, whilst the rest of us were hammering around in near darkness trying very hard not to be noticed, yet trying to look vigilant - not easy on a lumbering great tanker or bulkie plugging along at 12 knots with only a few metres of freeboard!
    The reason for this obvious show of nationality was that they knew pirates wouldn't dare go near them, as the crew would always be/are armed or have soldiers onboard, and any boarders would have a fight on their hands which is just what pirates don't want on an unfamiliar ship, in the dark.
    A few years back, a Russian ship was attacked and boarded in the Makassar Strait. Or at least that's what the authorities thought happened as a Russian cargo ship was in the area and had reported pirate activity.
    No distress calls were sent, but over the next few days the bullet ridden bodies of known local pirates began to be washed ashore...
    Job done, message sent!

I think it would be inherently wrong to arm Merchant crews as not only does that unleash a whole can of legal worms, there's also training, competence and specifically modern manning arrangements to consider.
    In my opinion, if you carry an armed guard then they should be properly trained, currently serving Soldiers or Marines who have a clear command structure and defined rules of engagement.

Leave a comment:

• size4riggerboots
    replied

Yeah but at the moment a prison cell with regular food, shelter and a bed probably doesn't sound too shoddy to most of them. This might prove a better deterrent. Serves 'em right I say.

Leave a comment:

• dawg
    replied

Originally posted by ScubaScouser
    Serves the buggers right. This might make them think twice now....
    I doubt it... it could just escalate things; after all too many times the ransom is being paid, and that's just funding the whole enterprise, as well as generally encouraging it as the country's main industry.

I've heard tell of the Russians' "less bureaucratic" approach

Whilst drowning in a dehydrated and khat-induced stupour with sharks nipping at your knackers isn't exactly nice, these are not exactly nice people...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... tails.html

I doubt I'd feel remotely unhappy about shooting them dead if they were attempting to board.

...Bring back the old days!
    http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/pirates/punish.html#plank

It won't end until the pirate hidouts are taken control of... the fight needs to be taken to them.

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied

Serves the buggers right. This might make them think twice now....

Leave a comment:

• penfold
    replied

Just like the crims that 'fell down the stairs' in the nick and those special buildings in Glasgow that just 'go on fire'; warehouses, shops, factories, the common thread between them is the absence of anything valuable inside and a comprehensive insurance policy...

Leave a comment:

• Chiefy
    started a topic sceptical....moi?

sceptical....moi?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8675978.stm

Working...
X