Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yacht manages to crash into tanker

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-14433732
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

WAFI's....

How much do you want to bet that the tanker will shoulder the blame? Let's hope we get a speedy report from MAIB...
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Ah but the explaination to why they werent following the rules will be 'ah we were racing' which generally means that they only know the rules enough to get others out of the way,
      I had one guy when he got ashore come over to my yacht and complain that i shouldnt have gotten in his way and he fully believed that the rules didnt apply to me as i wasnt in the race.
      you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Isn't it rule No: 1 in the Colregs where it says that they apply to "all vessels upon the high seas and in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels"?

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
          Isn't it rule No: 1 in the Colregs where it says that they apply to "all vessels upon the high seas and in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels"?
          Here here! I read one time about a guy who got in a bit of bother on a Jet Ski (can't remember the situation now)...but anyway, whatever it was, he got away with it because the judge ruled that it was not a 'vessel'...ridiculous...

Comment

Yup, but as i said a lot of people who race yachts the round the island race is the longest they will be at sea, and they get very caught up with the idea that you only 'give way' etc to other boats in your class which works fine in places where there isnt much commercial or other traffic, where there is then they can get a bit pissy.

Saying that i used to race near a ferry port, when they got a high speed craft the new master decided that his way of leaving was start engines, sound the horn once and go full astern off the berth, given that he didnt have clear sight of any approaching craft, it created some interesting moments, now the VTS announce that the craft will depart, and he gives slightly more usefull signals too.

Generally though most of them actually know what they are doing, and in a fair amount of time as a commercial mate and master on 25m yachts ive never had an issue with most motor driven vessels, except fishing boats

Comment

It depends... It doesn't state where it happened. The Solent and Southampton water has local bylaws that basically require anything small to keep out the way of the large commercial vesseles navigating in the main channel into/out of Southampton / Fawley. (the reason being for those not familiar is that despite the place being very wide - only a small lane up the centre is deep enough for most large ships - so they can't really avoid you) but time shall tell once the MAIB get involved.
              ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
              myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

it does say off egypt point, which is in a location that anything big is going to be restricted

Comment

I was on the water at the time! It happened in line with the gurnard NC, the yacht was in the moving restricted zone and was acting like a twonk.

Comment

ah i had to look up the rule book rule 41 for the defination of 'twonk' must say thats a bit harsh steamer, but is very possible.

I've only had to sail in the solent a few times and a couple of those were races, i've never really seen the appeal. give me scotland where all you have to do is avoid/wind up the subs,

Comment

Haha-it's Cowes Week!! They're all twonks!Seriously though, they do actually believe that because there is a limited form of marshalling on the VHF from the squadron, that all rules are suspended for racing. We all hate it as locals, but you have to remember that the crews that come for the week are often very inexperienced.

Comment

Originally posted by steamer View Post
                        haha-it's cowes week!! They're all twonks!seriously though, they do actually believe that because there is a limited form of marshalling on the vhf from the squadron, that all rules are suspended for racing. We all hate it as locals, but you have to remember that the crews that come for the week are often very inexperienced.
                        wafi's......

Comment

Ive just seen a nice little video clip on the bbc, if there hadnt been an anchor it would have been all ok,

Comment

Hmm, it's the Hanne Knutsen.

Anyone here know anyone in Knutsen we can try and get the crew's story from?

Comment

FFS theres boats everywhere!
                              That ones quite close, but he must have seen us were orange!
                              oh his pink flappy thing is flapping more and they all are paying attention to it
                              hes getting very close now, should we slow down? no not in time
                              oh thats ok hes teleported out of the way
                              whys our anchor got a pink cover on it?

i imagine something like that

Comment

Working...
                              X