Curriculum Vitaes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curriculum Vitaes

Not sure how much CVs are used in this industry, but I've heard as soon as the Seaphase is over, we can start applying. Just wanted to see if anyone had any good interview tips?

I hear some companies like you to have pictures? What about what to talk about - ie whether to go into details about vessels or just to stick with companies.

Cheers for the help

Hachi

My thinkings are:
    theres very little point in going into details about ships, as your not really going to be claiming that your an experienced officer on those types, but i would just state what types of ship the cadet seatime served on:ro-pax, LNG, cruise ships etc so they have an idea of the vague experience you have,

depending on age, your first CV is always a little brief later on you can start being more specific, if you have extra duties outside the standard role that your employed in,

what ever you put into it no more than two pages, 2 references, college and compnay might be good ones, and a decent head shot as it just gives people something to look at. A decent cover letter is always good, but dont try and answer all the questions that they might wish to know in it, its there as an introduction
    you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

even after 20 years and a few odd ball jobs within the 2 companies i have worked for my CV is just 2 pages long, can trim it to 1 if I want, mostly the are looking for (eg) "Achief Engineer" so you apply with a cv that states your ticket, your experience, your time in each employer and maybe some highlights of equipment / engines sailed on...the only time I ever had to extend my CV was when i applied for a shore job(which I didnt wnat to be honest but meh) and I had to do all the personal statement bollox, and why I am the right person...big up yer self malarky.......And then I thought they have no idea what they want, some one has told them they want need a sea going chief who wants to come ashore to do this job, but they really realy really dont know what it is a "chief engineer" is or does......mind that is a closely gaurded secret

Anyway, 1 -2 pages with a photo, relevant certificate number / discharge book and maybe visas held (like the US C1/D) and roberts your fathers brother
      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

When we request CV's, we want the following: -

Picture,
        Full Contact Details
        Certificates (with centre name, dates and certificate numbers)
        COC's of each country that you hold,
        Vessel Experience (this is the important one for us as we decide on each candidate based on their experience)
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I was always told to keep your CV to 1 page, I have done so, until this year when I started sending out my CV for future jobs, okay I have 13 months sea time at rank experience now so I have more to put in, but I went to get a couple of suprintendants to proof read my one page CV.

I got my butt kicked, because it was short and near useless apparently. On the engineering side I was told it was much more important to explain all the experience I have, of what type of machinery I had worked on and what planned maintenance systems i had used, because if there is just one thing the same as what they have on one of their vessels it will stand out from a group of CVs. It also gives them a good solid basis of what kind of things to talk to you about in the interview.

Your CV when you finish your cadetship is going to be small, with limited experience, but still explain what you have done and the type of vessels they were, especailly any additional duties/responsibilities you did as part of your sea time.

Personal Information
          Marital status: Single
          Nationality: British
          Date of Birth: 16/03/19**
          Place of Birth: ******, England
          Languages: English, as First Language

Summary of qualifications
          Certificate of Competency OOW Engineering MCA UK STCW 95
          HND Marine Engineering
          NVQ Level 3 Marine Engineering Operations

Education
          Sept 06 until Dec 09 Warsash Maritime Academy Southampton, UK
          HND and NVQ qualifications taught and assessed as part of Southampton Solent University.

Certifications listed, such as fire fighting here and their date.

Professional experience

04.03.10 to 11.06.11 MV Pharos SG Fishery Patrol & Logistics

The vessel has a compliment of three engineers, Chief Engineer, 2nd Engineer and myself, working UMS, the vessel passage was deep sea, patrolling the sub-Antarctic island of South Georgia. The vessel is away from port for 4 weeks at a time on average. The vessel is of Diesel Electric configuration, with five Allen Generators (three 6512F & two 4512F) able to generate 2978kW, powering a common board, first to 2 x 950kW AEG DC Motor Props and a Gill Bow Thruster at 660V before stepping down by transformer to all other power supplies for the vessel. There is a power management system, but in bad weather it is often required for additional engines to be manually synchronised due to the sudden load changes on the electric propulsion. I have had over 12 months of sea time on this vessel, having been willing to return early at short notice when required.

Responsibilities, generator engine maintenance, purifier maintenance, sewage and vacuum system maintenance, Effer crane maintenance, rotary vane steering gear maintenance, fuel bunkering operations, fire pumps, water tight doors, quick closing valves, remote stops, emergency generator and batteries, fire detectors, CO2 alarms, propulsion motor shaft jacking pump maintenance, lube oil testing, repairs up the ship's masts, vent flaps, domestic services such as washing machines and coffee machines. Electrical work including accommodation repairs, frequent insulation and current tests on pump/fan motors and heating elements, checking connections and set up of Decca Isis alarm console and the associated UMS sensors (such as PT100s & K types). On a daily basis I use MPM Planned Maintenance System, including for condition monitoring and administrator rights. Being deep sea I have also gained a lot of workshop practice, including welding.
          I was part of the engineering team which took the vessel to dry dock, docked it, carried out maintenance and re-floating of the vessel. For some of the dry-dock I was responsible for the containerized generator on deck which was used instead of shore power throughout dry dock. When we left the dock my main responsibility was checking all the sea water valves that had been overhauled by dry dock workers and insuring the engine room's water tight integrity was not affected by them. During the full speed crossing to and from Dry Dock in South America from the Falkland Islands we were on manned watch keeping in the engine room due to the change in climate and extra stresses of running the ship at maximum speeds.

02.08.10 to 12.08.10 MV Shannon Scientific Research Vessel

Whilst on leave from the Pharos I was asked to do a short relief position on another vessel by the company's technical director, a coastal vessel with only two engineers on board, myself and a class 1 unlimited chief engineer, doing manned watches of 8 hours on, 8 hours off.

The vessel was propelled by two Niigata 8L25BX at 1600bhp each, driving two gearbox azimuth propellers. Auxiliary power was produced by three Gardner engines.

As the vessel had only just been bought approximately 9 months before and back in working service for only a month after modifications converting it from a tug to a research vessel, my main responsibilities were to help the Chief Engineer create a maintenance schedule and find out what else had been overlooked previously on the machinery. I gained experience with hydraulics on the pivoting A-frame and winches used for scientific equipment.

04.09.08 to 01.01.09 Island Star Cruise Vessel

We worked manned watches where there would be one 2nd engineer and one 3rd engineer on each watch, with the 2nd engineer in the control room and the 3rd engineer in the engine room. As the vessel was short of a 3rd engineer I was placed on watch-keeping duty and so worked 4 hours on, 8 hours off, plus over time for maintenance. I gained a lot of experience in watch-keeping tasks and working on a vessel which was constantly having problems I gained good engineering experience. The vessel had two 5994kW and two 3996kW MAN-B&W clutched to gear box for the twin shaft propellers, then a further three 3300kW MAN-B&W for auxiliary power.

Responsibilities included purifier maintenance, auxiliary boiler maintenance, fresh water evaporator maintenance, large passenger toilet vacuum system maintenance, automatic chemical dosing pumps, water testing, how to deal with pipe leaks of a variety of sizes, how to work in a manner not to disturb passengers, for example how to clutch in an additional main engine with no vibration.

10.05.07 to 27.07.07 MV Sir Charles Parsons Bulk Carrier Vessel

Being my first vessel I learned about planned maintenance (Amos), safety and ISM. I also learned a broad basic understanding of the equipment and systems in the engine room. The vessel had a Mirrlees KMR8MK3 at 5921bhp, gear box to a controllable pitch propeller and shaft generator. There was one Allen and one V-12 CAT for auxiliary generators.

Objective

What you are planning to do in the future. Keep it short and with no bull****, no need to pad it out. How much sea time you have.
          That is just my way of doing it, there is no correct way or wrong way, just be truthful and factual.

Comment

Here is how you CV should be done if applying to a MENA country...

http://misadventuresinhr.blogspot.co...ting-your.html

Comment

Thanks guys. 2 Pages, short and sweet sounds like a good way to go. Sounds like most companies just want to know ur qualified!
              Does anyone use a unique selling point? -e.g. societies & clubs/ events onboard ...Or is this not so helpful?

Cheers

Comment

I am my own Unique Selling point, by dint of there being just the one of me
                Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                  Here is how you CV should be done if applying to a MENA country...

http://misadventuresinhr.blogspot.co...ting-your.html
                  What is a MENA country and "Sand Landian"?
                  "Never trust a skinny Chef..."

Comment

Middle East / North Africa
                    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

1 or 2 pages.Normal CV rules in that you should format it well, check it for spelling and grammar, and ensure that you don't have changing fonts or CAPS etc etc.
                      Have two CV's one with a photo and one without, and only submit the one with a photo on request or for passenger vessel jobs if thats the direction your heading, and if the photos is very smart.

Your highest marine certification should be at the top, some of your more pertinenant other marine qualifications and visas should be included and your nationality. You don't need to go into certificate numbers or expiry dates on you CV (you could produce a seperate page for that). Have a brief history of your past education, although the employer will mostly be interested in the marine college you went to and nothing else (although they will probably not even care about that).

Your employment history should highlight you rank, the companies you worked for, the vessel types, the vessel size, engine sizes (for engineers), trading areas and a bit about your responsibilities.

At the end you can include a little bit about your interests and hobbies.

You don't need to include much more then that, and you don't need to write these little blurbs that people have on their CV selling themselves as an 'energetic motivated independant team playing hard working easy going serious fast paced mature young buzz word bollox crap bollox' etc. Your cover letter is for selling yourself, your CV is to show your present qualifications and your employment history.

Realistically, maritime employers want to know whether your qualified to operate their ships, and have suitable experience. They don't care about YOU at this stage, they'll find out more about your personality and experience for your cover letter, an interview and from references.

Also mentioning references, its a VERY VERY small industry, and it's very easy to find out about your history for an employer by calling a few friends.

Comment

In terms of experience I list the companies I have worked for, the vessel types and engine types and the position I sailed in.

eg.

!992- 1197 Pompous Cruise Ships Ltd.

Engineer Cadet and 4th Engineer

Passenger Cruise Vessels

Steam, Pielstick medium speed and Gotaverken Slow speed diesel engines

1997 - 2000 Dodgy Dredgers Ltd.

Suction Hopper Dredgers

3rd Engineer and 2nd engineer

Wartsilla medium speed diesel engines
                        Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post

!992- 1197 Pompous Cruise Ships Ltd.
                          from 992 - 1197 eh? Guess you trained with Noah eh?

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                            from 992 - 1197 eh? Guess you trained with Noah eh?
                            Noah was still making paper boats when I came to sea, his father was a hell of a good captain though!
                            Go out, do stuff

Comment

Working...
                            X