Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A different view of International Seafarers Day.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shackleguy
    replied
    Always sort of thought that seafarers day is a bit of a paradox. It's thanking seafarers for their contribution but the only people who are aware of the day are seafarers themselves and shipping companies. Bit of an odd one I suppose but we don't do the job for the thanks or we would be humped 😂

Leave a comment:

• sailorj93
    replied
    Just read this article, and interesting and powerful statement. Quite good history too!

I'm pro-careers at sea, but I have to admit - there seems to be a lot of apathy towards seafarers by their employers. Sure, the owners/operators post encouraging messages thanking seafarers for their efforts and encouraging the public not to be sea-blind, but then with the other hand, reduce pay and conditions, avoid crew changes for their own interests and more. Definitely employers should be feeling the heat. It is not the public that have acted ungratefully - it's the employers!

The whole manning model has been degenerating over even my career at sea - owners own ships and operate almost like banks, outsourcing everything to technical managers who then outsource crewing to another company. Where is the accountability supposed to lie? Crewing Agents won't challenge technical managers to improve prospects because the technical manager is afraid to upset the owner and lose a contract - and the owner is too busy swanning around London, Athens or Singapore telling everyone how the sea is in their blood to really be aware of the struggles seafarers face - even if they would care in the first place, most owners are partly owned by investors/funds that don't care about anything other than profit.

I remember hearing stories about P&O of old, where every year the various Captains would be summoned to London and Chairman and CEO would lay out their plans for the year, and the Captains would be treated like royalty - the ships and crew made the company successful.

Now it's all about brokers, and charterers and owners. Feels more like banking and shipping. A sad death to an old industry.

Leave a comment:

• Hatchorder
    started a topic A different view of International Seafarers Day.....

A different view of International Seafarers Day.....

https://gcaptain.com/day-seafarer-ca...uicide-maersk/
Working...
X