Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting report for those interested in SMS, safety culture, commercial pressure and Flags of Convenience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting report for those interested in SMS, safety culture, commercial pressure and Flags of Convenience

Just finished reading this report and thought it may be of interest to some members. I found it on a recent article from G-Captain but the link for the full report is here: https://bridgedeck.org/actionnetwork...inal071619.pdf

The main section of the report is 10 pages. It's written by a US Captain who was lost his job for speaking up against the company regarding safety concerns.

I think most of the points made are quite relatable, i'm sure we've all had experience of turning a blind eye to safety in order to get the job done. Something I never realised is that Class societies are effectively businesses so they are also selecctive about what they actually look into when doing an inspection in order to not loose customers.

It is furstrating how Ship Operators seem to get off lightly when it comes to marine accidnets, when they are the ones creating the commercial pressure, giving the crew no option but to violate safety or risk loosing their job.

The report makes reference to the American Seafarers Protection Act. This is basically provides seafarers with protection against job loss if they choose to speak up about safety concerns. Do UK seafarers have this type of protection?

Hope this is of interest
Working...
X