Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise Ship Job Advert for 3/O Only Paying $16,000 per year for 4:2 rotation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise Ship Job Advert for 3/O Only Paying $16,000 per year for 4:2 rotation!

https://splash247.com/why-are-third-...CDDGx02ogu0tR4

What an absolute joke of a wage. And no, it's not aiming at the lower cost nationalities; I've been reading that British Officers and other usual higher wage earners are currently working there just now, earning less than what a coffee shop worker makes for pulling espresso shots all day (And I used to work in a coffee shop for 5+ years. It really isn't that hard).

So someone responsible for tens of millions of pounds worth of equipment and thousands of lives will get paid less than an unskilled worker in a coffeeshop. Why am I training to work in this industry again???

I saw this a few weeks ago. Outrageous tbh and there's really no excuse for it. In terms of industry standard when I was 3rd I was earning between £28k-£34k and on better rotations than that. I've heard Virgin are paying their 3rds £48k and time for time rotations but I'm a bit dubious on that, seems extraordinarily high.

Does anyone know what company this is btw?

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
      I saw this a few weeks ago. Outrageous tbh and there's really no excuse for it. In terms of industry standard when I was 3rd I was earning between £28k-£34k and on better rotations than that. I've heard Virgin are paying their 3rds £48k and time for time rotations but I'm a bit dubious on that, seems extraordinarily high.

Does anyone know what company this is btw?
      Found the advert but it doesn't tell us who the company is.
      3rd Officer - Luxury Ocean Cruise - View the full details and apply for the job on All Cruise Jobs.
      27//Officer Cadet//Phase Three//Warsash

My officer cadet blog - SeasboundBySummer.Tumblr.com

Comment

If you check out gCaptains recent Facebook article on Celebrity Cruise Line with the all female bridge team, one of the commentators strongly suggests it is them.....

Not sure I should link it?

Comment

I’ve also commented on the article explaining a bit about Celebrity’s wages: and British people do not earn this unless they’re stupid enough to apply for it in basic phraseology.

I’ve worked for the company recently and the salary for British and Italian officers is standardised at 1:1 rotations for all deck officers and 4:2 for engineers. Salary is £34k to £38k depending on which rotation you have, engineers getting more for the longer time onboard.

The job advert people are looking at is the contract Bulgarians and Filipinos take, and they’re two nationalities RCCL group is currently filling junior officer positions with thanks to the lack of skill and experience in UK and Italian talent pools.

Be rest assured that if you go onto Royal Caribbean’s or Celebrity’s C-TRAC and apply directly you’ll end up on the contract I was on, just expect to be ignored unless you’re coming from passenger ships or they’re desperate and can’t fill the role with Bulgarians.

Comment

I suspected it was celebrity as I had a conversation with a newly qualified British deck officer a couple of years back who had just started working for them and was earning something similar to the article. Agibbs explanation above makes more sense though.

Comment

They’re very happy to accept anybody through these agencies, as they’re getting the same people at half price; sadly desperate newly qualified guys see this as the only option.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
                They’re very happy to accept anybody through these agencies, as they’re getting the same people at half price; sadly desperate newly qualified guys see this as the only option.
                The worry then is that other cruise companies will start to chance their luck and offer these kinds of wages to British newly qualified officers under the guise of "an opportunity to start your career in the cruise industry". Race to the bottom I believe it is called! Happened in the airline industry, with all new joiners to the industry on worse t's and c's and wages than their counterparts did 20 years before.

Comment

Originally posted by riker View Post

The worry then is that other cruise companies will start to chance their luck and offer these kinds of wages to British newly qualified officers under the guise of "an opportunity to start your career in the cruise industry". Race to the bottom I believe it is called! Happened in the airline industry, with all new joiners to the industry on worse t's and c's and wages than their counterparts did 20 years before.
                  Cruise wages are already the worst in the industry by a long stretch, and foreign cruise lines are more likely to drop their wages as they’re not held to account by unions like British companies... the reason for the drop will be for the very reason that people will still apply, not out of desperation but out of desire.

Sadly people shoot themselves in the foot as loads of people make the personal choice to move to cruises for the lifestyle (which is pretty naff imho) for any wage, especially newly qualified engineers which have the ability to work in more boring places for more money normally. RCCL are certainly aware of this, so they’ll continue using the agencies to recruit as a first resort then using C-TRAC as a secondary. My chief engineer didn’t want any more agency guys and specifically wanted an Italian, Canadian or British third engineer as he’d had a nightmare with agency recruited engineers.

My experience with RCCL who run similarly to Celebrity but different to their other brands is that if you join them as a British person and do your tickets you will be promoted fast. Second engineers were young and staff chiefs were young, many of the guys moved into the hotel side or HVAC side too and wages were a lot higher in those roles than Carnival offered. Bridge senior officers were also young with many of them moving into independent safety and crew related roles on much higher pay grades.

Also the wage linked on here isn’t that bad, they hire Venezuelan, Panamanian and Colombian second engineers on £20,000 a year... and they live like kings at home.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post

Cruise wages are already the worst in the industry by a long stretch, and foreign cruise lines are more likely to drop their wages as they’re not held to account by unions like British companies... the reason for the drop will be for the very reason that people will still apply, not out of desperation but out of desire.

Sadly people shoot themselves in the foot as loads of people make the personal choice to move to cruises for the lifestyle (which is pretty naff imho) for any wage, especially newly qualified engineers which have the ability to work in more boring places for more money normally. RCCL are certainly aware of this, so they’ll continue using the agencies to recruit as a first resort then using C-TRAC as a secondary. My chief engineer didn’t want any more agency guys and specifically wanted an Italian, Canadian or British third engineer as he’d had a nightmare with agency recruited engineers.

My experience with RCCL who run similarly to Celebrity but different to their other brands is that if you join them as a British person and do your tickets you will be promoted fast. Second engineers were young and staff chiefs were young, many of the guys moved into the hotel side or HVAC side too and wages were a lot higher in those roles than Carnival offered. Bridge senior officers were also young with many of them moving into independent safety and crew related roles on much higher pay grades.

Also the wage linked on here isn’t that bad, they hire Venezuelan, Panamanian and Colombian second engineers on £20,000 a year... and they live like kings at home.
                    Exactly. So that is why this is bad news. Eventually, if this trend picks up across the board, new entrant British Officers will be on a lower wage than someone who enters the industry now. And with rising cost of living in Britain, in a decade or so, that wage may not be worth it anymore; you might earn more on land doing a job with far less responsibility on £15 an hour or something if minimum wage increases like that. So you gotta ask yourself, it may come to a point where all the training, stress and time invested isn't worth it anymore for Brits. Superyacht wages have remained stagnant for a decade apparently. Cruise wages will either remain stagnant or even fall as discussed, until you get to the higher ranks. Tankers are dying off because the world is going full **** oil lol. Where's left? Offshore? Oil based innit.

I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, and I think I'm gonna enjoy this job more than anything I've ever done when I qualify based on my experiences already, but yeah; wages have to either increase in line with inflation/cost of living in the UK or at least remain competitive, for the training agencies, companies, MCA, Nautilus and colleges etc etc to be able to justify promoting this career to younger people. Unless it's not really about that............I don't want to be too cynical but I sincerely hope not.

Comment

I think anyone reading should be aware that there are still many high paying jobs around and it is fairly easy to remain above average financially when working at sea. There are a lot of doom and gloom parts of the industry but within them there are still UK people earning proverbial **** tonnes.

There are still people like P&O Ferries, Cal Mac, Stena, Carnival UK etc who will always want European officers and will probably always pay good money.

I have zero regrets doing my cadetship, as my life is now pretty incredible with nearly zero negative aspects... and everyone can expect it to be the same when they’re a few years in!

Comment

Indeed. Seafaring definitely has an element of doom and gloom and it comes from others onboard mostly I've found; you kinda absorb it and then one day when you are in a bad mood, you'll be shouting the end is nigh, from absolutely nowhere without realising it haha!

That's not to say everyone is doom and gloom, and all the time. But seafarers definitely LOVE to moan. In-fact, I think we'd win the world cup at it. Unless I'm taking ****e and it's just me that loves a moan hahaha.

It is a great job. Working on a bridge is really so cool. Being in command of such a large structure of steel, the sizes of buildings is so cool. abgibbs98 is probably right that UK guys n gals will still be ok coming into the industry for the next 10 years or so. Suppose it's also up to us when we do have a bit of sway eventually, to help British seafaring remain a viable career for new entrants, somehow. Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?

Comment

I see Nautilus have been weighing in on this issue, and confirming it was RCCL group involved.

https://www.nautilusint.org/en/news-...-pay-campaign/

Comment

Good!

I'm really not usually a fan of the current trend to 'shame' people and companies on social media and the like. But this is a total and utter slap in the face of seafarers, and I'm not sure what other avenues are available for us to take. I sincerely hope that RCCL group and the cruise industry in general reconsider what they are doing. If you end up paying peanuts, you'll end up with lower quality workers and you'll have accidents. Unless this is part of some sick overall plan to automate just about every job on the planet so it seems.....

Hopefully this will raise the awareness a little bit!

Comment

If you pay peanuts you'll end up with bigger profits, better dividends for the shareholders and fatter bonuses for those at the top. Ultimately that's their main priority here.

Comment

Working...
                              X