Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadetships for an older bloke?!

Hello everyone,

I’m 34 and looking to get a deck cadetship going. I’m currently on a private motor yacht and have been for the last 2 years as a deckhand. I’m getting plenty of sea days, but I’d prefer the cadet route.

Does age hinder me in anyway? I was at school a long time ago and my GCSE’s weren’t great, but I’m full of life experience and have fantastic references from my current Captain and Bosun.

Can anyone recommend certain companies? And will the poor GCSE results hold me/make the cadetship impossible?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from you savvy seafarers!

As long as you meet the entry requirements with regards to GCSEs (check company/college websites for exactly what they are) then that's all you need. Your age is irrelevant and indeed I've sailed with cadets significantly older (50s). The fact you have lots of related experience on yachts will put you ahead of 95% of other applicants. Companies wise try and get someone who will employ your post cadetship so mostly cruise ships, ferries, oil majors or offshore. Also keep in touch with your yacht contacts so you can potentially slide straight back in there as OOW post cadetship.

Comment

You'll be fine, the oldest in our group was 32 (if I remember correctly) when we began, and I was 26. Age stops being an issue after a few weeks in the classroom.
      27//Officer Cadet//Phase Three//Warsash

My officer cadet blog - SeasboundBySummer.Tumblr.com

Comment

I'm 31 and was just offered a cadetship with Carnival. Oldest guy at the assessment centre was 36, so you should be fine. I've found that some of the training companies aren't keen on older cadets, but it's a numbers game. Cast your net far and wide and don't be disheartened if an application gets ignored. A lot of mine certainly did!

Comment

You need the minimum GCSEs as a 100% requirement, as the college won't allow you on the course otherwise. I've seen cadets over the age of 40, and as young as 16. Any of the companies will accept you if you have the minimum GCSE, as your experience is good. Search the forum for the low down on good companies.

Comment

As said above, providing you meet the requirements of the college course (which I believe is four GCSE's or equivalents including maths, English and one Science) then you will have no issue securing a cadetship. If you have any other qualifications from previous jobs you may be able to use these too. You can ring ClydeMarine if you are unsure if you meet the minimum qualifications.

In my class when I was a cadet we had people ages 16 to in their 30's, so your age will not hold you back, if anything a lot of companies prefer the more mature/experienced individuals therefore with your Yachting background I think it will actually be an advantage.

As to the companies, It'd be best to get with a company who will almost guarantee you a position at the end such as Shell, BP, CarnivalUK, RFA etc. (Also any cruise lines/ferry companies) unless you have some good connections in the yachting industry and are thinking of heading straight back after obtaining your CoC, but why not keep your options open anyway? It is still worth applying to Clyde Marine and other training companies but it's important you get a decent sponsor such as Northern Marine/Stena Line, Royal Caribbean, P&O Ferries, Disney etc.

Comment

The sticking point will be your GCSE results not your age. It may be worth looking at resitting the ones you’re lacking in - maths and English GCSE courses tend to be free at colleges. Good luck!
              'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans'

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie View Post
                The sticking point will be your GCSE results not your age. It may be worth looking at resitting the ones you’re lacking in - maths and English GCSE courses tend to be free at colleges. Good luck!
                And if not, try to get on a Pre-Cadetship. I done this and got straight onto a Foundation Degree, with the added advantage of not having to do OOW SQA's!

Comment

Originally posted by riker View Post

And if not, try to get on a Pre-Cadetship. I done this and got straight onto a Foundation Degree, with the added advantage of not having to do OOW SQA's!
                  FD now have to do the SQA written for all cadet starting from September 2018

Comment

Originally posted by georgeGheal View Post

FD now have to do the SQA written for all cadet starting from September 2018
                    Not true, I am a Sept 2018 cadet and we don't have to do them. Who told you this? Maybe different colleges are different? (Don't see how though)

Comment

Is there a bit of confusion between exemptions for different levels maybe? For example do FD cadets get exemption for OOW writtens but not Chief Mates?

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
                        Is there a bit of confusion between exemptions for different levels maybe? For example do FD cadets get exemption for OOW writtens but not Chief Mates?
                        Yes, Deck FD cadets get exempted from having to do OOW SQA, but we have to do SQA for Chief Mates.

Comment

Good Day

I'm the same age and just finished my first acedemic year and first Sea Phase aboard a Ferry on a long and navigationally challenging run, it was a fantastic time.

The biggest challenge I faced was having to do Math I hadn't seen in over 15 years again and doing physics which I hadn't done before and required my aforementioned math be strong. But I found my experience or advanced age (tongue in cheek) has helped me deal with a lot of the challenges much easier.

I canot speak for entry requirements in the UK though just from my experience taking the courses, oh and I also am not the oldest person in the program.
                          Deck Cadet
                          Canada

All remarks and opinions are those solely of myself and do not represent those of any Organization.

Comment

Originally posted by riker View Post

Hi, what is 'pre-Cadetship' ?
                            Thank you.

I'm 26 years old *in 2 weeks I will became 27 years old.
                            I questioned myself too "am I too old?"
                            I'm glad to read that it's not too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Purplerain View Post

Hi, what is 'pre-Cadetship' ?
                              Thank you.

I'm 26 years old *in 2 weeks I will became 27 years old.
                              I questioned myself too "am I too old?"
                              I'm glad to read that it's not too late.
                              A pre cadetship is a level 3 course that aims to build the maths and other related skills. They are normally a lot of school leaver on them. However, I know in Fleetwood for cadet on the HNC/HND route it is the same level 3 delivered to phase 1 cadet and pre-cadetship students.

Comment

Working...
                              X