Armed guards a necessity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dosedmonkey View Post
    Can we both come to a compromise and say miniguns?
    They look impressive but are a maintenance nightmare. Not even remotely proof against water. You want something simple and effective - 0.50" M2 HMG as used by the USN (or an equivalent, DShK or something) is probably the best solution short of an autocannon.

Comment

Auto canon is probably excessive 50 cal would probably do it. But I think a gimpy or minimi would be better as they are more portable if the pirates want to attack from another side of the ship. If you want to be really over the top could use this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAK22...eature=related to stop RPGs.

Comment

To be honest, I doubt any of the pirates from Somalia at least, have had much training with rifles, a M4A1 or L85, either with 4x scope in the hands of someone trained to use it, would fend off pirates quite easy. Ships with home made molotov cocktails have fended them off before. I really find the fact that this has turned into such a big issue due to slow reaction by politicians and companies, quite annoying.

One to book mark here, piracy news section of the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/piracy/

Comment

Don't know hiting anything at more than 300ms is tricky even from prone. Throw in the fact you probably have to stand and factor in the movement of ships involved. I don't think a rifle woud be much use other than to scare less prepared pirates off.

Comment

Guessing on your vessel you don't just have railings on most upper decks? I'd be fine proning on the vessels I've worked on. And they liturally are going to come a lot closer then 300m if they're going to try and board you, i mean you can't throw a molotov cocktail 300m, you should have an effective range, 450m with iron sights, 650m with a SUSAT, or if your in the RAF in a profession such as engineer or electrician, 450m with iron sights, or if your rubbish, they give you a SUSAT scope, so you can then manage 450m, hehe. If you see regular RAF on guard duty and one has a SUSAT scope, it means he is a crap shot. :P

In case this isn't already on the forums, please sign the petition if you have not previously;
            http://www.itfseafarers.org/pe​tition.cfm
            Stop the pirates.

Comment

It's only effective at the ranges you talk about as a section weapon. Not to mention the movement of ships bobbing up and down in the sea to factor in. Generally theses days almost everyone deploys with SUSAT even clerks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                Generally theses days almost everyone deploys with SUSAT even clerks.
                On royal navy vessels and in the RAF (including in Kandahr airbase, afgahnistan) that is not the case I have seen. Guessing your talking Army?

Took this photo today at the site of an ex-RN base I live near.

Comment

Was talking about the army. Don't have much experience of navy or RAF. ACOG is becoming more popular too replacing SUSAT on front line units, personally I prefer SUSAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Dosedmonkey View Post
                    Took this photo today at the site of an ex-RN base I live near.
                    Is that a new arrival at Osprey?

Comment

• HMS Dragon

According to the news, the new vessel HMS Dragon could be a good answer : "she does come so powerfully armed that she will be able to fend off multiple and simultaneous attacks at supersonic speeds."
                      Moreover, she will be the first warship to use electric propulsion.
                      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-launched.html
                      Maritime Security

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Is that a new arrival at Osprey?
                        Given that it's sitting in kitty litter I'd say it's a gate guardian.
                        '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
                        just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
                        down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
                        new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

• Originally posted by penfold View Post
                          Given that it's sitting in kitty litter I'd say it's a gate guardian.
                          Unless I'm very much mistaken it's on the landward side of the shops at Osprey Quay, Portland.

Comment

Working...
                          X