Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIBYAN WATERS DECLARED A WAR ZONE

LIBYAN WATERS DECLARED A WAR ZONE

Nautilus has supported the declaration by the Chamber of Shipping of Libyan coastal waters ? up to 24 nautical miles from its shore - as a war zone, backdated to Friday, 18 March 2011.

The recognition of developments since the adoption of UN Resolution 1973 and the participation of UK forces in several locations in Libya has led to declaring territorial waters a warlike operations area.

Recommendations by the Chamber include war bonus payments of 100% of basic pay for seafarers on ships covered by WOAC that enter the area, payable in daily increments, and the right for seafarers serving on vessels due to travel to the area to refuse to sail.

Nautilus assistant general secretary Paul Moloney says, ?We welcome the agreement covering Libya. Clearly, the situation has deteriorated recently and it is entirely appropriate that the area is declared a war zone and seafarers given the right to refuse to sail into the area.

?We are constantly monitoring the situation, and should the area need to be extended we will do so quickly,? he added.

The Union and the Chamber have agreed to review the position jointly in approximately one month.

22/03/2011
    source: http://www.nautilusint.org/News-and-Eve ... newsid=194

I wonder whether cadets get a taste of this honey?

PS.: "WOAC" = Warlike Operations Area Committee
    source: http://www.maritimejournal.com/news101/ ... mendations
    Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Re: LIBYAN WATERS DECLARED A WAR ZONE

***Removed***
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

All of which has nothing to do with Libya.

Except maybe the bit about Clyde Marine. Since cadets in some companies aren't paid wages or a salary, but rather receive a "training allowance", it makes sense that they can't be paid double-bubble, since they aren't paid employees.

Comment

I'm also confused as to why you are talking about piracy in conjunction with the Libyan war zone.

It seems a touch anomalous that cadets could be exposed to such danger without "something" being different, "training allowance" or not...

Comment

Originally posted by dawg
          [...please explain any acronyms! dawg]
          Is this now official site policy? Do we need to expand in the first instance in any topic? Can we link to a glossary in the wiki and could that be automated?

Comment

nothing is official, officially...
            it makes sense to have something in a thread that sorts out jargon, acronyms, and logorrhoea
            wiki? ...one day... need a few more hands on deck.

Comment

Working...
            X