• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chiefy
    • April 2010

Now heres a plan

If it isnt to expensive it'll be a good thing
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief
  • harvey124
    • January 2011

Re: Now heres a plan

this is quite a clever idea but like you say chiefy how much would it cost.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
    [center:ytwwp52g]work at something you enjoy and is worthy of your time and effort!![/center:ytwwp52g]

Comment

• alistairuk
      • March 2010

Wont it just blow away.... Also what if they just wear masks or goggles? I still think electrifying the hull is a good idea
      ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
      myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

• Chiefy
        • April 2010

Hull is already electrified (being picky) .... Impressed Current Anti-Corrosion system, and one reason trying to fit an electric fence isnt such a good idea as things like ICCP dont work at that point.

Shouldnt blow away as they attack in nice weather when the wind isnt blowing as pirates (like us) like nice weather
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

• GuinnessMan
          OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
          • April 2010

These guys are highly adaptable and have the money to spend on fancy bits of kit (ive heard rumours from some security groups that some of the vessels have AIS installed) so I would imagine that this system would work once or twice and then they be attacking the vessels with Gas Masks....
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

• Lewis
            • December 2010

Does seem a bit underwhelming, electric fence or tear gas against guys with AKs and RPGs. Why not embark a small team of ex army types with a heavy machine gun or 30mm cannon? Too expensive? Illegal?

Comment

• chris
              • June 2010

Chiefy - I thought the hull of the ship was used as the electrical earth for the ship. How can you combine that with current impress out of interest?
              Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

• alistairuk
                • March 2010

I shall let Chiefy explain it, but it involves these;

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 0463_n.jpg

and

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 7532_n.jpg
                ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

• GuinnessMan
                  • April 2010

Armed security is a tricky business.

First off it's hellishly expensive. Its about roughly $50,000 for 4 guys to board your vessel with weapons.

Then we face the legality of it all. Some flag states don't give a hoot about what you do, some actually do. You need flag state permission before an armed security team can board your vessel. If you don't have that, then you can actually go to jail.

Then we have the problem if they actually shoot someone. For sailor's it is "brilliant. Good job chaps!" but for the ship owners and folks involved then its a legal nightmare. Did they shoot them in Somali waters? Did they shoot them in Yemeni waters? Omani Waters? International Waters? It is a nightmare and can be more hassle than it's worth for some ship owners so most will generally try to ensure that their vessel goes with a military protected convoy (less hassle all around).

Somali piracy and the prevention measures is a real nightmare!

Comment

• Steve
                    • March 2010

Originally posted by GuinnessMan
                    Did they shoot them in Somali waters? Did they shoot them in Yemeni waters? Omani Waters? International Waters?
                    It's almost certainly going to be international waters, unless you are hugging the coast (why?) or they hit you in the Bab el Mandeb.

Comment

• GuinnessMan
                      • April 2010

Then if it's international waters then you fall under the flag state of your vessel, and god forbid it's somewhere like Liberia.....

Comment

• Malim Sahib
                        • April 2010

Liberia wouldn't give a monkeys, but on a UK flagged ship they'd probably do you for manslaughter, if not murder.

Comment

• Lewis
                          • December 2010

So shutting them is legally dificult but electrifying them and leaving them to drown is fine. Some times I dispair at the world.

Comment

• Beef1992
                            • April 2010

If The ROE was to Attack only when fired upon or when they are in the process of boarding.

If under the uk flag state could you not argue that it was in self defence as the MOD stance for there boys and girls is "The first rule of engagement for British Armed Forces is always the right to use force in self-defence."
                            Maybe I will never be
                            All the things that I want to be
                            But now is not the time to cry
                            Now's the time to find out why

Comment

• GuinnessMan
                              • April 2010

The law on that when it comes to the UK is very tricky as well as you must be in mortal danger, i.e. person pointing a weapon at you. Shooting someone who is trying to climb on board won't fly as you are not in instant mortal danger. Also, shooting them after they've shot at you or shot someone else as it would then be considered murder / revenge.

Like I said, its all quite tricky....

Comment

Working...
                              X