Clear All

• Somali Piracy updates

http://australia.to/2010/index.php?opti ... Itemid=132
    Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Re: Somali Piracy updates

The Queen Victoria is about to sail through these dangerous waters

Comment

I don't think a ship like that is really going to worry about being attacked by 15 men in a RIB, they'd never even manage to scale the sides, not to mention the 1000 odd crew they have on board...

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

The bigger cruise ships carry proper security. I wouldn't rate the chances of a Somali vs a Gurkha, even if the Somali has an AK and the Gurkha only a kukhri.

Comment

I'd agree... there are loads of Gurkhas jogging about with rucksacks on where I live, and all the Somalis I've ever seen (that weren't mental patients) are gangly swaggery types - if they tried it on with a Gurkha it would indeed be like bringing a fart to a **** fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
            The bigger cruise ships carry proper security. I wouldn't rate the chances of a Somali vs a Gurkha, even if the Somali has an AK and the Gurkha only a kukhri.
            British flagged ships don't carry weapons though, I even had my knife and spike taken away at security when I joined the QM2. I got them back eventually thankfully

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

That's so lame... everyone knows a shuffleboard puck in a sock is way more lethal! :violence-smack:

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots
                British flagged ships don't carry weapons though,
                You could rent the boys from the Civil Nuclear Constabulary, same as PNTL do.

Comment

http://www.cnc.jobs/people/profiles/hugh.html

"I eat pies with a single bite" (****tards) :dur:

Comment

No bite on "CNC rent boys"?

Comment

Yep, the cruise crews will use the usual tactic of fire hoses and full power. One cruise ship did get sprayed with bullets from a Somali skiff not long back.

Comment

I wonder how many gay cruise ships they've attempted to hijack...

...wouldn't you just love to see their faces as they scramble up on board?!

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots
                          British flagged ships don't carry weapons though, I even had my knife and spike taken away at security when I joined the QM2. I got them back eventually thankfully
                          Sounds like some naff company rule, hardly surprising seeing that Cunard is effectively an American company.
                          British ships are allowed to carry weapons, however like everything else these days you need to have the right bits of paper!
                          I was on a cruise ship a few years back which had shotguns onboard for the use of the passengers (Clay pigeon shooting). The two (back to back) Chief Pursers were the designated responsible parties as per the firearms certificate, just like you'd have on dry land.
                          Mind you there's the other issue that if you actually use them against someone, even a Somali pirate, the chances are you'll face charges upon your return to the UK (if on a UK flag ship) for assault/murder etc.
                          Isn't the UK great?

Comment

"...Seafarers are directed to be in constant contact with UKMTO Dubai, use additional private security guards (though not recommended,) enhance watch-keeping, use of thermal imagers during the night, erect physical defences onboard such as mesh fencing to prevent pirates from hooking their ladders and other special devices.

In the event of pirate trying to board the ship the crew is recommended to use hand-held dazzle devices, turning on water jets, manoeuvre the ship on a zigzag course, and if the attack is imminent the non-essential crew to move to a refuge ? strong room.

Speaking on the sidelines of a seminar on manning this morning Capt Boudewijn Baert, Marine Director of Exmar stated, ?We had an occasion to use armed guards on our gas tankers while navigating the piracy infected area. But this was at the behest of the ship owner. However, we would not recommend using guards. If there is an exchange of fire there is all likelihood of the cargo exploding. But this problem of piracy is not likely to end soon. Yes if the seafarers have to make frequent trips through piracy areas we fear they will soon refuse sailing on such ships and it may deter persons taking seafaring as a career. ?"
                            source: http://maritimeprofessional.com/Blogs/P ... areer.aspx

Comment

Response following Maersk Alabama incident...
                              Maersk Line maintains its policy of not arming crews or allowing armed guards onboard its vessels. ?Weapons onboard could lead to a dangerous escalation in an attack,? Mr Skou explains, ?and they raise a number of multi-jurisdictional legal issues.? He points out, however, that there are certain instances where armed protection is government mandated, and that Maersk Line will comply with government policy in such instances.
                              http://www.maerskline.com/link/?page...page/09/piracy

Comment

Working...
                              X