X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maersk Honam - major fire - 4 crew missing

http://gcaptain.com/major-fire-on-ul...m-arabian-sea/
    io parlo morse

Oh my, how awful, stuff of nightmares for crew and their families.

Comment

It gets worse, 1 confirmed death and the fire can be seen from space

Sad times
      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
        It gets worse, 1 confirmed death and the fire can be seen from space

Sad times
        Yes had seen that, and one crew is British, not that it makes any difference, all human after all, but more likely someone would know them.

Comment

Dead man is a Thai national.

http://www.seatrade-maritime.com/new...n-missing.html
          io parlo morse

Comment

I have seen a couple of comments - unconfirmed - that there are 2 cadets missing... hope this isn't the case!

Comment

"Two missing Filipino sailors were identified as John Rey Begaso and Janrey Genvatin, both 21 years old engine cadets from JBLFMU-Molo. According to latest updates from Indian CG, no traces yet of missing sailors."
              "The missing seafarers are two Filipinos, one South African and one Indian national.
              The missing Indian crew member has been identified as Sakim Hegde, one of the cooks on board, a senior official from the Directorate General of Shipping (DGS), India’s maritime regulator, said. Twenty-three crew were evacuated from Maersk Honam to nearby vessel, ALS Ceres. One of the rescued seafarer, a Thai national, succumbed to injuries the following day."
              "The nationalities of the 27 crew members are: India (13), the Phillipines (9), Romania (1), South Africa (1), Thailand (2) and the United Kingdom (1)."

http://maritimebulletin.net/2018/03/...ted-4-missing/

Comment

Very sad. 5 people who went away to work and expecting to return home, possibly with families and children waiting and relying on them.

Comment

https://www.vesselfinder.com/news/11...d-Maersk-Honam
                  io parlo morse

Comment

http://gcaptain.com/maersk-line-rema...-maersk-honam/

Unfortunatly they have found the remains of 3 of the missing crew onboard, with the 4th still to be located.
                    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
                    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

She is being towed to Jebel Ali for repairs. I'd imagine they'll discharge the boxes behind the superstructure then move her a few miles up the coast to Port Rashid as there is a massive dry dock there big enough to take her. Alternative would be Saudi or Salalah I guess.

I'm headed there tomorrow to go see a customer so I'll see if she is there and revert back.

Looking at the pics it does look like the superstructure/accomodation block on the newer post-Panamax box ships being further forward does put it and the crew closer to the IMDG stacks forward. Certainly on this class of ship the block is pretty close and you can see in the pictures the damage from the heat and explosions. I'd suggest that is probably a bit stressful and difficult to manage from the Bridge.

Very sad about the deceased crew members.

Without casting aspersions has anyone ever gone to prison for causing death or endangering shipping by mis-declaring IMDG goods to get away with paying lower box rates?

I wonder if we might see a time when lines choose not to charge extra for these boxes to ensure full disclosure and honesty from shippers when booking so they can be loaded correctly and incidents can be handled appropriately?

Mind you the fire and explosion was around the usual stacks for the dangerous goods so maybe it was just something that was properly declared and stowed appropriately but had an incident that got away from them faster than they can deal with it? Imagine a pallet-load of lithium ion batteries having a mass thermal runaway underneath a box full of barrels of flammable industrial detergent or something? Eek.

Just goes to show the risk everyone in shipping takes every day to make global trade happen. Food for thought.

Comment

Apparently the families of the two cadets are unhappy with the response from Maersk and haven't yet received their remains.

Comment

Working...
                        X