Officer's caps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer's caps

Why is it that in some old photographs, officers are wearing black caps, and in others they're wearing white ones? A prime example being of Captain Smith. Haven't been able to find any information elsewhere online.
    Joby

Originally posted by JMP View Post
    Why is it that in some old photographs, officers are wearing black caps, and in others they're wearing white ones? A prime example being of Captain Smith. Haven't been able to find any information elsewhere online.
    Joby
    There is no "official" uniform its all company dependant, but hats do tend to be white, including the ones of Captain Smith....

They have a black visor and band around them usually, as his does in most photographs.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I see.
      Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
      do tend to be white, including the ones of Captain Smith....
      It's just that I saw a few pictures of Captain Smith with a black cap.

Comment

As has been said before, depends on the company uniform so maybe White Star Line had black caps with the standard reefer jackets and white with the white uniforms.

I think back then they adhered to similar, if not the same, rules as the Navy so have a look at why the RN have two different colours and you’ll have your answer.

Comment

Good Day

The Navy use to have black caps that were worn for two reasons. The first was during winter months and in areas of cooler climate. The second they use darken caps to be less visible to the enemy.

So you may see the same officer with two different colour peak caps, though it is most likely the same one with a dark cover over the white.
          Deck Cadet
          Canada

All remarks and opinions are those solely of myself and do not represent those of any Organization.

Comment

Close but back to front, they are made black and you add the white cover, the Danes still have seasonal caps, white in summer black in winter, though most people just use white as buying them with the waterproof top built in/on is more standard.

As for olden times, uniform was company choice even today there are variations, the old P&O tropical uniform was grey not white, ditto the use or lack of in the rank stripes, it's fashion daaaahrling �� military chic
            Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
            Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
            No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

When I purchased my uniform cap I had to buy the standard black cap and then 2 x white cotton covers and 2 x white waterproof covers. The company provided us with a cap badge.

I have said it elsewhere on this forum, we were supposed to take them with us every trip as cadets, but after 4 trips without ever wearing it I left it at home. First standby on the bridge of the 5th trip on the Remuera Bay and the old man asked me where my cap was! DOH!

Never wore one after that trip, either as a cadet or a qualified Officer and it now sits on the table when I do Ambassador stuff looking the worse for wear, but it still has a white cotton cover on!

Uniform was standard white and black, with 3 rigs, Cold climate, Red Sea Rig and Tropicals except at Maersk where it was all grey and black - including grey tropicals. All my officer epaulettes were with diamonds in the middle and the 3 epaulettes we had as cadets were Midshipman (thin gold stripe lengthways), senior Midshipman (two thin gold strips lengthways) and Cadet Officer (Half a stripe like the officers with no diamond).
              "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
              "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Working...
              X