Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boston Putford Story

Hi all,

Well I'm applying for Boston Putford as my top choice through SSTG, and had been having a bit of a time finding out information about being a cadet on their fleet. However, came across quite a nice publication that goes into some of the history if anyone else is interested:

http://www.maritimelowestoft.co.uk/boston_putford.html

It's basically an author chronicling Boston Putford's history in Lowestoft before becoming part of Seacor.

Incidentally, this leads me on to a question.

Is all of Boston Putford's fleet committed to the North Sea, or will I get a chance to go worldwide? I don't really mind either way, as I've heard the North Sea is lovely around February (If you're a seal), but I'd simply like to satisfy my curiosity before (hopefully) interview time.

Re: The Boston Putford Story

Steamer's your man for that question!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Im a Boston Putford cadet and as far as I know they only operate in the southern north sea sector. I asked my training manager about opportunitys to go to different fleets within seacor and she said it wasn't the norm but could be possible. The problem with working in US is that I think you have to do another oral exam on top of your MCA orals.
      Take me drunk im home.

Comment

Sorry mate-but it's sunbathing on the cargo deck in heavy seas! Even so-they are a worldwide company, albeit Boston Putford retains its individual identity within the firm.

Go for it-you'll get paid better than most, have good job prospects after cadetship and will have learnt your trade in the harshest of environments!

Comment

Haha, this is like my stint in the OTC while doing my first degree. Our local training area was Sennybridge - don't know if that means anything to anyone, but one particularly fun geographical feature is that it's about 10 degrees colder inside the valley than outside it. Many a night spent on stag with my belt buckle frozen to the ground!

So to summarize, crisp North Sea mornings sound lovely! Bring it on! (Hopefully, if I get an interview)

Incidentally, if anyone's interested in British shipping history, that book's worth a read.

Comment

Working...
          X