X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jones Act

http://gcaptain.com/senator-mccain-i...eal-jones-act/
    io parlo morse

Isnt a repeal a piece of neo liberalism. Will not benefit many except the rich

Comment

In 2016 the US flagged fleet consisted of 169 ships out of a world fleet of 41,674, a total of 0.4%. UK flagged ships made up 0.8% of the world fleet. Considering that the USA is the world's largest economy those aren't particularly impressive numbers.
      io parlo morse

Comment

Yes but all american crewed. Would our actual seafaers numbers on these Uk flagged ship be?

Comment

And all on the American coast. The chances of seeing a US flagged ship anywhere other than coasting the US coast is infinitesimally small. Also because Jones Act ships are required to be built in US yards they're considerably more expensive to build and thus tend to be thrashed for longer. The US fleet average age is much greater than the world fleet age. The El Faro was 40 years old when she sank.
          io parlo morse

Comment

What would happen if they repealed it

Comment

Because of the Jones Act - which means the cost of the original ships are high and the cost of manning them it is high - there are oil refineries in Philadelphia which could buy their oil from Texas very cheaply, but the cost of transportation is so high they can buy and transport oil from Venezuela cheaper. It also means that the oil producers in Texas ship out abroad rather than sell to US states.......

The Jones act is responsible for making the price of everything in Hawaii so high because it is shipped from a US state to another and so has to be carried on a Jones Act Ship.

When you consider that the Jones Act was originally brought in to protect US Seafarers jobs it has had the opposite effect and should have been scrapped many years ago.

Ian
              "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
              "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

But whats the point in British flagged ships? What benefit does it provide? Of the numerous British flagged ships I've piloted, not one has had anyone British onboard.
                Perhaps changes need to happen in the USA, but there is a place for protectionism in my opinion.

Comment

D0 we need somewhere in between

Comment

Originally posted by Matt247 View Post
                    D0 we need somewhere in between
                    We always need somewhere in between. Extremes are just so extreme...
                    io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by YoungMariner View Post
                      But whats the point in British flagged ships? What benefit does it provide? Of the numerous British flagged ships I've piloted, not one has had anyone British onboard.
                      Perhaps changes need to happen in the USA, but there is a place for protectionism in my opinion.

The Jones Act is a prime example of protectionism. Just how well has that worked out?
                      io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by YoungMariner View Post
                        Could also say - of all the Bahamas flagged vessel, how many have a Bahamian crew member onboard :-)
                        “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
                        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                          Could also say - of all the Bahamas flagged vessel, how many have a Bahamian crew member onboard :-)
                          Well exactly, so what would be the point in a big fleet of US flagged ships that didn't need to employ US citizens?

Comment

Originally posted by endure View Post
                            The Jones Act is a prime example of protectionism. Just how well has that worked out?

Keeps a lot of US Citizens employed on good conditions that they couldn't otherwise compete with. Lets be frank, British seafarers would be completely extinct if its wasn't for the government subsidising them by keeping the SED tax advantage, once thats gone (which it probably will be) the quantity of Brits will decrease significantly.

Comment

Working...
                            X