Magic Pipe anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Pipe anyone?

Thought this type of stuff finsished years ago!

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/princ...ssel-pollution
    Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Aye, saw that the other day. Such a complete failure in management, both on-board the vessel and within the office at both the Supt and at the higher levels of the organisation as well.

Although I am surprised that not a single person is facing jail time of any kind. I know their careers are now pretty much destroyed and that a number of others will be tainted slightly, but surely the Chief and 1st Engineer should have been making friends with Bubba and co?
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

As Guinnessman said it's surprising nobody is in the jail, especially considering the USCG was involved..

Surprises me how people think they can get away with it, especially on a cruise ship with an engine crew that size.
      Last edited by bw5991; 6 December 2016, 11:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Not surprised the chief was Italian.

Also apparently the MCA had done a PSC about a month earlier and didn't notice anything - so they are looking a bit like chumps too!

Comment

Why? Why do people even partake in this, especially on cruise ships where it's nigh on impossible to overflow on the dirty stuff considering you're in port every few bloody days yet people still do it. I can sort of understand pressure from shore side to get rid of stuff cheaply etc. But I can't understand on board engineers wanting to do it. I don't care how much it costs to get rid of it I'm not chucking it over the side to save a company like carnival money.

I've found some engineers on cruise ships doing this sort of **** (fresh water in the monitor etc.) for no reason. Tanks nowhere near full, port the next day, US waters and they still do it. It serves to purpose other than for them to be able to say I got rid of X amount of bilge water last night but really is that anything to brag about?

Comment

What gets me is that the whole reason envo's got put on carnival ships is because of a not so dissimilar incident about 15 years ago! I was even on that particular ship years ago telling passengers we have stringent environmental procedures blah blah
            Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

Originally posted by bobofinga View Post
              Not surprised the chief was Italian.

Also apparently the MCA had done a PSC about a month earlier and didn't notice anything - so they are looking a bit like chumps too!
              The MCA are an absolute waste of time, so many absolutely shocking ships enter UK ports and they really don't care, but when a shiny new cruise ship comes in you get 10 of them onboard sat drinking coffee, eating cakes and going through the paperwork... Perhaps getting their hands dirty downstairs would have helped them.

Originally posted by beer-engineer View Post
              Why? Why do people even partake in this, especially on cruise ships where it's nigh on impossible to overflow on the dirty stuff considering you're in port every few bloody days yet people still do it. I can sort of understand pressure from shore side to get rid of stuff cheaply etc. But I can't understand on board engineers wanting to do it. I don't care how much it costs to get rid of it I'm not chucking it over the side to save a company like carnival money.

I've found some engineers on cruise ships doing this sort of **** (fresh water in the monitor etc.) for no reason. Tanks nowhere near full, port the next day, US waters and they still do it. It serves to purpose other than for them to be able to say I got rid of X amount of bilge water last night but really is that anything to brag about?
              Yes I fail to understand it, Carnival Corp as a company is supposed to be toeing the line with regards overboard discharges and when I worked for HAL things were incredibly strict. What was the environmental officer doing and why would any Engineer believe these kind of practices are acceptable? Why does anyone think its okay to pollute the seas? As seafarers we should be protectors of the seas, doing out best in every way possible. Sounds like they have a rotten culture in Princess somewhere along the way if people have allowed this to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Pilot Chris View Post
                What gets me is that the whole reason envo's got put on carnival ships is because of a not so dissimilar incident about 15 years ago! I was even on that particular ship years ago telling passengers we have stringent environmental procedures blah blah
                If the envo I had on board was anything to go by then they were the slackest out of everyone. Never once seen him in the engine room, he looked at the ORB with a quite clear look on his face that showed he had no idea and was basically an officer in charge of the incinerator. Envos have a dual responsibility of covering the companies arse and advertising themselves to passengers so they feel better about being on a big dirty fuel guzzler.

Originally posted by YoungMariner View Post
                Yes I fail to understand it, Carnival Corp as a company is supposed to be toeing the line with regards overboard discharges and when I worked for HAL things were incredibly strict. What was the environmental officer doing and why would any Engineer believe these kind of practices are acceptable? Why does anyone think its okay to pollute the seas? As seafarers we should be protectors of the seas, doing out best in every way possible. Sounds like they have a rotten culture in Princess somewhere along the way if people have allowed this to happen.
                Even if the engineers were the most selfish people alive and didn't give a toss about the environment I still don't see why they think it provides any sort of personal advantage to them. The only person that looks good to the company for it is the chief. They are literally risking prison for no reward.

I think the strictness really depends on the culture on board and thats all down to the chief. I worked at P&O and on that ship we toed the line so for companies so closely connected to be so different then theres someone going rogue.

Comment

Wouldn't want to be a Princess cadet going for his orals soon... oh wait...

Comment

I don't get it either and I probably never will to be honest.

I would also be highly highly surprised if anyone within the office was condoning or pushing them to do this. In the grand scheme of things, the cost of discharging your crap in the US pales in comparison to the likes of the fuel bill and it would not be the first place anyone in that side of things would go to look to make savings. Also, the USCG don't just try to jail the officers involved, if the shore-side are aware and do nothing then they will go for them as well, the higher up the corporate tree the better. However, it does bring about questions as to how effective is their SMS, how effective were the Superintendent's inspections, did none of the engineers on board think they could approach the Super or anyone else, no whistleblower or other contact line?

Also, from a senior management point of view, they will be highly aware of just how much the cruise industry sits on a knife edge and the effects the public perception of their company has upon their bottom line. All it takes is one serious incident involving their company and they get screwed as people do vote with their feet. After the Costa Concordia incident, Carnival were practically giving their cruise packages away and still no one went near them, it's taken them years to re-build their reputation.

Even if the engineers were the most selfish people alive and didn't give a toss about the environment I still don't see why they think it provides any sort of personal advantage to them. The only person that looks good to the company for it is the chief. They are literally risking prison for no reward.
                    Even then, they're really not impressing any of us on the shore-side either.

For most of the major operators, if they found out that an Officer had gone chucking things over the side they'd be firing that person on the spot and and they might even pass the details of said offender across to the flag administration that issued them their license for them to deal with as well.
                    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Yeh it seems very, very slack from all angles over at good old princess. I remember years ago having to go through the maersk environmental program when the danish fleet decided to go all mental on the overboard oil and I still don't forgive them for having to do that. That incident also resulted in an 'anonymous email address' to report stuff, the only problem being it could only by emailed to by your company email account and there was no on board internet then.

It seems that someone sang like a canary when the US started questioning people though so I suppose that's a good thing. I like how it was even in that report that the crew called the chief the Italian equivalent of 'short arms' because he never put his hands in his pockets. I vaguely remember someone I knew on the Caribbean princess mentioning this guy a while back.

Comment

Working...
                      X