Announcement

Collapse

SITE UPGRADE

We've just performed a major upgrade to the forum software. You may have noticed things look a bit different!

Please note that some features have yet to be reinstated, this will be done over the next few days. Attachments, pictures and signatures may not function as they should for the time being.

Thanks for your patience!
See more
See less

Sailing as a motorman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailing as a motorman

Does anyone know if you can sail as a motorman with a Class 4 CoC? Just thinking of broadening my horizons when job hunting.

I know a few who do it but they also have some other useful qualifications like Efficient Deck Hand, that they've paid for themselves or received as their original motorman training pre-officer qualification. British motormen aren't really popular outside of British companies, so you're limited to the RFA, BAS, P&O Ferries, Wightlink, Red Funnel and Cal Mac.

I'd say you'd find it easier getting a junior EOOW job than a motorman job, however.

Comment

Stena Line are always looking for relief/ temporary motorman. Basically working around 2-3 weeks at a time with one week off. Eventually you are likely to be offered a full time position. One week on one off.
      Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

I wonder if you could sail as a motorman with a chief's ticket? Has to beat the sh1t out of being a technical superintendent.
        Go out, do stuff

Comment

When you going back then? I sailed with an OM who went ashore. Joined a ship 6 months later and there he was
          io parlo morse

Comment

Working...
          X