No announcement yet.

Boiler Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Th main reason for white was the steam queens, as you rightly say the dye wasn't so well fixed so a steam leak had to potential to burn you with added tattoo after effect.

Also a class thing, officers wore white, engine room crew wore blue.
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Make sure they're cotton, some employers/engineers don't like people wearing polyester ones as they're more dangerous in a fire.

Also you can wash/dry cotton ones at high temperature with little or no shrinkage, good for an oily boiler suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
        Also a class thing, officers wore white, engine room crew wore blue.
        When I joined a Pee and Oh No ferry after a dredger I was introduced to the second engineer.

"Hello, I'm Paul"

"You can't wear orange boiler suits, the crew wear orange, officers wear white"

"Erm, oh right, can I get a couple of white ones then?"

"No we don't issue boiler suits to agency people"

"Well I only have orange ones with me"

"Erm, well I don't have any white ones, so if you need me to wear a white one you will have to supply it, I only have orange ones with me from my last ship"

"Sigh"
        Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
          When I joined a Pee and Oh No ferry after a dredger I was introduced to the second engineer.

"Hello, I'm Paul"

"Erm, oh right, can I get a couple of white ones then?"

"No we don't issue boiler suits to agency people"

"Well I only have orange ones with me"

"Erm, well I don't have any white ones, so if you need me to wear a white one you will have to supply it, I only have orange ones with me from my last ship"

"Sigh"
          This was a long time ago though right? :P I've been eyeing a nice orange boiler suit for after payday since the minimal PPE provided by the company was mostly rubbish.

Comment

It might have been a while, but the attitude can still exist have you actually asked the company what to expect? As a cadet you don't get much space for individual expression if you are going to be in a white (clothed) engineroom then its maybe worth not turning up on your first day in orange.
            you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Originally posted by ETwhat? View Post
              It might have been a while, but the attitude can still exist have you actually asked the company what to expect? As a cadet you don't get much space for individual expression if you are going to be in a white (clothed) engineroom then its maybe worth not turning up on your first day in orange.
              I'd like to add a comment about looking fabulous but your'e most likely right.

The companies simply told me to take at least one boiler suit in case there aren't any left on ship.

Comment

What does one wear under their boiler suit? I've been wearing old trousers off construction sites so I can have knee pads in but I don't know if they'd be too warm in an engine room?

Comment

Has no-one told you? Lace knickers.
                  io parlo morse

Comment

I'd be totally happy like that if the boiler suits had knee pockets.

Comment

Under garments are personal opinion. I'm a tee shirt and undies type of person no matter how hot the engine room is, others are just undies (ane socks obvs)

In winter some people might wear joggers underneath but for the most part you'll be plenty warm in skiddies, also moving about with jeans or similar on underneath is a little harder I my opinion, also you don't want your bits getting to hot and sweaty as that can also lead to health issues...........embarrassing rash you got there gadget

In proper cold weather we have the teddy suits, snug as a bug in a rug in one of the big orange contraptions
                      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by JSTORM View Post
                        I'd be totally happy like that if the boiler suits had knee pockets.
                        So that's a boiler suit with knee pockets and lace knickers for you then....Any particular colour at all?

Comment

Make sure you get a boiler suite made from black latex.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinspike View Post
                            Make sure you get a boiler suite made from black latex.
                            The latest in shipboard PPE...

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

GM that's lycra not latex
                              you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Morning smoko

io parlo morse

Comment

Working...
                                X