Boiler Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler Suite

Any recommendations for boiler suites? I've been told I'll get them on ship but to take one just in case there's any cock ups. The ones issued for college are really uncomfortable...

Pedant alert - boiler suit!
    io parlo morse

Comment

The KLM ones which were / are sold by Miller Rayner are good.

Boiler suite made me chuckle.
      Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

I sailed with a particularly tall chap who had to buy his own. He just got some plain ones from his local hardware store.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
          The KLM ones which were / are sold by Miller Rayner are good.

Boiler suite made me chuckle.

Me too, and it's been covered before... the boiler suit thing. Think it was the Maersk ones, might have been around the Bear fitting time... Too long ago for the like of Endure. Having cut one up, I can confirm they are extremely well made and should withstand most abuse thrown at them, multitude of pockets!
          You can buy them, I know I checked, does someone know who the maker is, my memory doesn't stretch that far back! To get one posted here was extremely expensive so didn't bother. U.K. mainland however probably different story.

Comment

Before you go and buy yourself a whole suite of boilers (I didn't know you were outfitting a steamship! I know someone who can get you a great deal on a steam engine, if you need a guy...)

Check what sort of ship you'll be joining. Some (particularly those in the offshore and tanker sectors) will require you to wear a Hi-Viz suit, which has reflective tape on.

Personally, I like Wenaas suits - Comfortable, plenty of movement, more pockets than I know what to do with and they're more than capable of taking a beating!
            Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

You'll be looking like an extra from apocalypse now after 3 months anyway!

Comment

I dunno if you can buy them but the best I've come across were Scandia ones. They were amazing, they had both reflective and non-reflective on board. They had lots of pockets and they had that elastic waist with buttons that kids trousers have, genius. It meant you could go for a comfier baggy one and adjust it to fit They also did "tropical" ones which were lighter for the hotter places, although I never got one of those, they might be nice for the engine room.

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                  Me too, and it's been covered before... the boiler suit thing. Think it was the Maersk ones, might have been around the Bear fitting time... Too long ago for the like of Endure.
                  Excuse me but I was a Sparky. Boiler suits? lol
                  io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by MrStealth View Post
                    Check what sort of ship you'll be joining. Some (particularly those in the offshore and tanker sectors) will require you to wear a Hi-Viz suit, which has reflective tape on.
                    Tanker's don't make you wear high viz boiler suits, but if it's an LNG ship we won't let you wear red and we may make sure it has rubber buttons....

Originally posted by endure View Post
                    Aye, if they were to be seen working it was a miracle or so I've heard....
                    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                      Tanker's don't make you wear high viz boiler suits, but if it's an LNG ship we won't let you wear red and we may make sure it has rubber buttons....

Aye, if they were to be seen working it was a miracle or so I've heard....
                      You heard correctly
                      io parlo morse

Comment

aye gm is right never seen a boiler suit workin yet

If you have been told to buy some then ask about boots too as well oh yeah and then ask where you send the expense claim.
                        as has been said ask what is expected on the ship, as some ships will be unhappy if you don't fit in even if they couldn't supply the right size.

that does raise the question, what do you do if you join a ship and they don't have your size of boiler suit? PPE has to fit correctly to be effective....
                        you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Originally posted by endure View Post
                          All cadet Bears had a boiler suit, some were blue some were bright orange, skirt or trousers jackets and a tie and a bag to keep it in. Err we didn't have a Radio bear though!

Comment

Skandia those were the ones I cut up, yes they were exceptionally well put together. Thanks for the reminder.

I have no idea why on earth thye give cadets white boiler suits, looking at what they come back looking like. Mine was given orange ones when he was on tankers.

Comment

white, as its always funny to see which cadet likes to walk around holding onto his junk instead of doing work,
                              also if you got a steam burn the die could transfer into the skin (I'm guessing older times with less fixed dies)
                              shows blood better incase of an accident,
                              need less light to see a white boilersuit lying on the plates than a dark blue (ive only sailed with green decks down below)
                              we used to have a 'harbour' one which we changed into which was always nice and clean.
                              working out on deck in blistering sun is also slightly more pleasant in white than in dark colours too

cant think of any more reasons currently
                              you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Working...
                              X