Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chartered Engineer

Just seen this,

Anyone clarify what this means exactly or how it will benefit us?

"My Job"

It's not my place to run the boat
    the fog horn I can't blow.

It's not my place to say just where
    the boat's allowed to go

It's not my right to dock the boat
    or even clang the bell

But let the damn thing
    start to sink AND SEE WHO CATCHES HELL!

What it means is that IMarEST are desperately short of members and they figured that if they hand out chartered engineer status to chiefs then more people will join.

In terms of how it will benefit you, having CEng after your name is fairly impressive within the engineering industry in general, however, depending on the requirements set, this move may actually devalue chartered engineer status within the marine industry, not sure that the chartered technologist thing will be of much benefit to those with master's CoC, but it certainly won't do any harm. All in all I would say that this is probably a fairly positive step for seafarers, even if it is driven by necessity on the part of IMarEST rather than an actual desire to aid seafarers.
    Go out, do stuff

Comment

Can't remember isn't there a requirement to sail in rank or just pass the exams? That might reduce any potential devaluation, must admit been thinking about this myself, might ask the company to pay for it!
      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
        Can't remember isn't there a requirement to sail in rank or just pass the exams? That might reduce any potential devaluation, must admit been thinking about this myself, might ask the company to pay for it!
        No exams anymore, c&g scrapped them. I think you just have to sail in rank and maintain CPD

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

And complete a mountain of paperwork.
          Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
            And complete a mountain of paperwork.
            And a professional interview as well....

Comment

Does the Engineer Technician (EngTech) and Incorporated Engineer (IEng) status for junior engineers carry any weight in this industry or would it be a waste of time ?

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy View Post
                Does the Engineer Technician (EngTech) and Incorporated Engineer (IEng) status for junior engineers carry any weight in this industry or would it be a waste of time ?
                It's a professional registration, so it shows that you've met a set standard and when it comes to job interviews it might just be the thing that tips things into your favour.

Also, the actual registration is only about ?20 per year....

Comment

Working...
                X