No announcement yet.

Answering Alarms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just on the general theme of letting staff go, it's the hardest thing to do, I personally hate it, I try and try to help and keep person on board, so times this works against the general good, but most times it comes out ok.

The worse is actually sending a person home and then seeing them elsewhere especially when what they did was an actual sacking offence. This has happened a few times and drives me mad.

As for answering alarms, make damn sure you know what the correct action is, you pressed it you fix it........even I frown at some of the more obscure alarm that can be seen especially on PMS and Turbine control panels
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by marlinspike View Post

I've seen more than once people getting sacked from average companies for general incompetence, only to hear a few months down the line that the person is now working for a top end company. Life seems unfair at times.
      THIS... so often.

Comment

Honestly this is all common sense. I’m four contracts on now as a third and I’m a lot more competent with the alarms. But on my first trip if I got one I always called someone if I wasn’t 100% sure.

And in our standing orders you need permission to inhibit alarms, so if you want to inhibit even something trivial you need permission, never be scared to call someone and wake them up.

Ive came down to takeover a watch and we had an unusual IP bleed alarm that I’d never seen and I was waiting for the guy I was relieving to call the first or chief. He said he wasn’t going to call and was gonna check the computer and manuals to figure it out. In my opinion, sod that, it’s related to the turbine and is therefore critical equipment, don’t be wasting time.

Lastly we had one issue where someone during the night had a high salinity alarms on the fwg and simply inhibited them. This is bad on a motor ship but Terribly bad on a steam ship.

Moral of of the story, always call someone.

Comment

2nd trip qualified, off i am on rounds, alarm goes off on my pager... Another engineer up in the control room accepts it because ? (its disturbing their brew?). I check an outstation, and see it was a bilge alarm for fwd auxy machinery space. fair enough, you accept a bilge alarm, you investigate thinks me, thats nice of them helping me out. I carry on my rounds back aft, 15-20 mins later i head back to the control room via the fwd auxy machinery room just to double check, and what do i find, 2 foot of sea water filling the whole deck. A running HPSW pump casing drain plug had popped out (as an aside, that was another farce by a previous engineer putting an M16 mild steel bolt into a 3/4BSP NAB casing).
          Lesson learnt, when your duty, investigate everything! i was fuming when i got back to the control room, no one owned up

Comment

On my first sea phase as a cadet I was doing a round around the engine room (a week or so into the contract) and I was nosing around the boiler and the curiosity got the better of me, and I pulled the easing gear (on this vessel there was a long pull cord so you did not need to climb atop the boiler to operate the valve)... I did not fully know what I had done until we were discussing boilers in my second year engineering knowledge class. Of course I agree to never touch anything if you do not know what it does but if you DO operate something and you do not know what you did always report it to the engineering officer on watch, and do not cover things up with a lie.

Comment

Working...
            X