Long, long voyages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long, long voyages

Hey I've gotta question regarding length of time spent at sea at a time. Personally, I love the idea of being away for ages and coming back home and having more than one month off just to chill out. So my question is... Which shipping sector tends to have longest trips at one time?

And also I like being as far away from the UK as possible. English weather? Eww. I love seeing different places even if it is just a glimpse of the very boring port in addition to this. So yeah. Which ship types tend to travel as far away as possible for as long as possible basically? :P

I would say tankers go to the most far flung places for the longest. You can expect about 3 month on/3 month off when qualified.

Also weather wise , you could end up anywhere on any ship type...

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan View Post
      Hey I've gotta question regarding length of time spent at sea at a time. Personally, I love the idea of being away for ages and coming back home and having more than one month off just to chill out. So my question is... Which shipping sector tends to have longest trips at one time?

And also I like being as far away from the UK as possible. English weather? Eww. I love seeing different places even if it is just a glimpse of the very boring port in addition to this. So yeah. Which ship types tend to travel as far away as possible for as long as possible basically? :P
      Cruise ships tend to do long trips and go to places slightly nicer than your average port. Also better chances of employment once qualified.

Comment

Cruises are 4/2 I think, I'm pretty sure if you enjoyed it that much any company wouldn't mind you working more, known officers to do 6 months.

But as much as I enjoyed sea and wanted to extend the last week as amazing as it was I was ready for home! A lot of others said that they loved sea but the last month they were ready to go home, feel like it's just the thought of a proper sleep no routine gets you ready for home haha

Comment

Yeah no long lies in 3 month is a bit harsh

Comment

You might change your tune once you've actually done it. I did a very long trip during my cadetship and have no desire to do anything even approaching that length of time in future.

In any case as has been mentioned probably cruise or tankers. Other deep sea trades such as containers or bulkers will have similar trip lengths but jobs on those are scarce for British officers.

And although you might go places where it is sunny all the time there a lot of places with less pleasant weather than the UK that you could also end up.

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
              ...There a lot of places with less pleasant weather than the UK that you could also end up.
              Found myself watching youtube videos of ships in huge seas or storms... Definitely shows a more challenging side! I'll remember to buy a bonsai to sit under!

Comment

I like to show my mum videos of ships in heavy weather before I go away to wind her up. Bit harsh I know.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget123 View Post
                  Cruise ships tend to do long trips and go to places slightly nicer than your average port. Also better chances of employment once qualified.
                  Really, better chances of employment on cruise ships you say? I always thought this was the most competitive sector to be honest.. Or is that just for the cadetship? Haha either way I think I'm one of the rare aspiring cadets who has no interest in cruise ships whatsoever. I like the idea of a small environment and not the stress of a loud voice awakening or disturbing you every time an activity is on or whatever haha like on cruises. It's between tankers and container ships for me :P

Comment

Cruise Ships are very competitive for cadetships , not so much when your qualified.

I would recommend tankers for you , or if you do want containers try Maersk.

Comment

You might change your tune once you've actually done it. I did a very long trip during my cadetship and have no desire to do anything even approaching that length of time in future.

In any case as has been mentioned probably cruise or tankers. Other deep sea trades such as containers or bulkers will have similar trip lengths but jobs on those are scarce for British officers.

And although you might go places where it is sunny all the time there a lot of places with less pleasant weather than the UK that you could also end up.
                      True haha although I don't get homesick that often. And once I've settled in I wanna stay put for a while.

And I thought there were plenty of British officers recruited by Maersk, who have a ton of container ships?

Good point btw.. I guess some ships have to sail to Alaska.. *shudder*

Comment

Originally posted by bobofinga View Post
                        Cruise Ships are very competitive for cadetships , not so much when your qualified.

I would recommend tankers for you , or if you do want containers try Maersk.
                        Yeah I always had a feeling I'd be working on tankers. But the posts here confirm my biggest concerns or hopes haha so I'm pretty much reassured now.

I wanna go for the September 2015 intake which is AGES away I know so my mind may change a lot in the meantime. But I'm psyched that I can get all my info of this handy website here.. Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan View Post
                          And I thought there were plenty of British officers recruited by Maersk, who have a ton of container ships?
                          Maersk are one of the few companies in the container sector who still have British officers. However I've no idea actually how many they have as say a percentage of their overall number of officers. Couple of guys on here who work for them who'll probably be able to answer that..

Comment

Maersk are one of the few companies in the container sector who still have British officers. However I've no idea actually how many they have as say a percentage of their overall number of officers. Couple of guys on here who work for them who'll probably be able to answer that..
                            I think that the percentage of British Junior officers is quite small but still better than any other container company. But unless you were sponsored by them through your cadetship you don't have a chance.

Comment

RFA trips are usually a minimum of 4 months, and often longer, especially if you volunteer to extend.

Comment

Working...
                              X