KVa (Power Factor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KVa (Power Factor)

So anyone who finds a brilliant video explaining Power Factor with out it being too complex or boring wins kudos.

Tried to explain Power Factor better to some of the guys in my Seconds class, its not as easy to describe with out using a lot of electro technical language. They have electricians on their ships see, so they just haven't bothered with learning electrical stuff since Cadetship. The lecturers explination was pretty confusing and he used a lot of formulea to be fair.

McGeorges book has a pretty good explination too, going to photocopy that for them.

There's an Internet meme....seen on face ache using a pint of beer with a frothy head, showing kW, kVA and kVAr......can't find it now but seen in in the past 4 months or so.........
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Bingo
      Attached Files
      Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

Thats a nice summary chiefy - us electrical people have to have a few secrets though
        Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Such as the purpose of the condenser on a shaft generator
          Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

I assumed it's used to keep the moisture level of the electricery down
            Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

I know when I press buttons..... things happen

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
                Bingo
                Yep ...........

No ..........

Still can't see it ............

I guess that is why I am a window gazer. That picture explains nothing other than the fact the barmaid is crap at pulling a pint!

Guess I will have to remain in the dark on this one - probably because Guinnessman dropped a spanner on the Busbars again....
                "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyboy View Post
                  I know when I press buttons..... things happen
                  And when it doesn't that's what the phone is for...
                  ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                  myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                    And when it doesn't that's what the phone is for...
                    When it doesn't work, normally I'm too busy to get to the telephone before it stops ringing, its like there is a camera in the control room, and they pruposely stop ringing as I get there!

Comment

things would get fixed a hell of a lot faster if I didnt have to run and answer the phone every ten minutes asking when it's going to be fixed
                      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

One day the phone will stop working...... and chaos will ensue!

Comment

Originally posted by Martyboy View Post
                          One day the phone will stop working...... and chaos will ensue!
                          Been there - done that - although it did become very peaceful once reception lost the ability to call us to "let us know people are complaining the lights aren't working"
                          ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by Dosedmonkey View Post
                            When it doesn't work, normally I'm too busy to get to the telephone before it stops ringing, its like there is a camera in the control room, and they pruposely stop ringing as I get there!
                            It's incredible isn't it, it's like the flow sensor in the shower that sets the UMS alarm off after just enough time to get some shampoo on your head.
                            Go out, do stuff

Comment

I know better now then to go back to the control room, just wait until they stop ringing then go to the workshop where there is a phone and see if its important, aka. phone the bridge.

Its strange all these things, like you seem to forget how to put trousers on properly before trying to move at fast pace when ever a fire alarm goes off in the night, normally leaving at least one of your three legs trapped half in/out.

Comment

Working...
                              X