Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel and lube oil consumption

Hello

i am currently in my last phase of the PD in marine engineering and have a project to complete.

it is to design a full purifier system for a MAN B&W engine.

i have been looking on their website and have found a project brief which outline consumption of both Fuel Oil and Lube oil. but i have not been able to see what throughput i will be needing to calculate the purifier size.

i am burning 46 tons a day of fuel oil and 1/4 of a ton of lube oil per day. (based on my calculations) and was wondering if anyone would be able to enlighten me as to a rough ball park figure of what the actual throughput of the purifier may be.

thanks in advance for any help.

BFG

When you say that you are burning 250 kg of LO / day that figure will be for cylinder oil not the sump oil which you will be purifying.

IIRC the LO putrifier throughput should be enough to purify the entire sump 4 times in 24 hours (so 2 tons per hour for a 12 ton sump), but check on the alpha laval website as that is a dim and distant memory and I am on my 6th Heineken.
    Go out, do stuff

Comment

Normally it's higher than max consumption BUT use 2 (for fuel) in parallel and maintenance etc, at aprox half rate, you want the lowest possible rate without running the service tank down at max power, mine on here do max 7mt/hour which is max consumption +1mt and we run them as slow as possible for max centrifuge time.

For LO as the drunk says.......4 times/day circulation so sump times 4 divided by 24 :-)

Burning LO? As CLO ie in a medium speed rather than a slow speed? Though it doesnt alter requirements but seems a bit high even in this 9ME90 @18000kW we use (ish) 250kg CLO/day (0.6 g/kWhr)
      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
        Normally it's higher than max consumption BUT use 2 (for fuel) in parallel and maintenance etc, at aprox half rate, you want the lowest possible rate without running the service tank down at max power, mine on here do max 7mt/hour which is max consumption +1mt and we run them as slow as possible for max centrifuge time.

For LO as the drunk says.......4 times/day circulation so sump times 4 divided by 24 :-)

Burning LO? As CLO ie in a medium speed rather than a slow speed? Though it doesnt alter requirements but seems a bit high even in this 9ME90 @18000kW we use (ish) 250kg CLO/day (0.6 g/kWhr)
        Because we've had some utterly sh*t fuel lately, and because we don't have the pipework for parallel, we've been running our purifiers in series at their lowest possible flowrate we can to try and get all the crap out (bloody catfines)

Oh, and are we a wee bit jealous Chiefy?
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Jealous? What of? the fact he has beer? Damn right I am......chuff factor hit 60% today...home July 25th, cadet induction July 31st in Eskdale
          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Working...
          X