clyde marine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clyde marine

Hi guys this is my first thread so i am new to this. I have a interview with Clyde Marine coming up (engine) and i have done plenty of research so i feel confident (and nervous) however, i hear that if you are fortunate to get offered a position its based on you passing your medical. I am 25, 6ft and just under 15 stone. I am fit in the sense i play football,rugby so i am not worried about any tests on your heart,cardio etc however my eyesight isn't great. I am not colour blind at all but i partially short sighted meaning i sometimes have to squint to see things far away.

Could this curse make me fail my medical ?? like is it 20/20 vision.

Any feedback would be great.

Originally posted by barearsealona View Post
    Hi guys this is my first thread so i am new to this. I have a interview with Clyde Marine coming up (engine) and i have done plenty of research so i feel confident (and nervous) however, i hear that if you are fortunate to get offered a position its based on you passing your medical. I am 25, 6ft and just under 15 stone. I am fit in the sense i play football,rugby so i am not worried about any tests on your heart,cardio etc however my eyesight isn't great. I am not colour blind at all but i partially short sighted meaning i sometimes have to squint to see things far away.

Could this curse make me fail my medical ?? like is it 20/20 vision.

Any feedback would be great.
    If you have to wear glasses then take them along to the medical. I'm very similar in that I am only partially short sighted, I can work fine without glasses, but I still need them to do things like watch the TV and what not and I passed with no particular issues.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Basically as long as you can read the biggest letter on the chart without glasses you'll be fine. You need to be 20/20 with your glasses on so if you not been to optician for a bit might be worth a visit and a new set of glasses.

Comment

Actually for an Engineer you need 6/60 without glasses and 6/18 with.
        http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/msn_1822.pdf page 36

Comment

cheers mate yeah i take my glasses to the football and watching tele. Im ok without them like i can drive and that. Just need to pass the interview now

Comment

Thanks bud hopefully i pass the interview to get to the medical stage

Comment

It's also worth noting you need to have two sets of glasses when it comes to joining a ship. I know it's a bit away. Although thinking about it that might be a requirement just for look outs and watch keepers. (anyone know where this rule comes from is their an MGN or something?)

Comment

Don't worry yourself it's all straight forward, you don't need perfect eyesight and the interview is pretty a basic points system were the hardest question you will be asked is what is this part of the ship called. Just keep calm and it will be no problem.

Comment

taking more than 1 pair of seeing machines is just common sense, having worn lenses or glasses for yeeeeaarrrrsssss I always have several pairs of spare lenses as they only last 1 month + glasses for those times I cba to put lenses in...0200 stand-by and the likes.

Most companies will have it in their "procedures" that you should carry a couple of pairs but really it is common sense, things happen stuff gets broken, dropped, sat upon etc etc
                  Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                  Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                  No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
                    taking more than 1 pair of seeing machines is just common sense, having worn lenses or glasses for yeeeeaarrrrsssss I always have several pairs of spare lenses as they only last 1 month + glasses for those times I cba to put lenses in...0200 stand-by and the likes.

Most companies will have it in their "procedures" that you should carry a couple of pairs but really it is common sense, things happen stuff gets broken, dropped, sat upon etc etc
                    Thanks for the info chiefy yeah i was just worried that if i passed my interview then they seen my vision wasnt top notch they would reject me. I have worked in nuclear power plants and other industrial locations through my last job and it wasnt a issue

Anyway back to studying for me all this info would be in vain if i dont pass the initial interview

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
                      Can I make a suggestion here guys. I only need glasses for reading, and only in the last couple of years. Rather than shell out for expensive glasses I use selectspecs.com and the last time I bought some in March I paid ?42.00 for 4 pairs including delivery all made up to my prescription. You just get the details off your prescription. Get a measurement for your PD (Pupillary Distance) and order online. 2 weeks later glasses appear from Hong Kong. I had one pair that were slightly chipped on the edge and when I emailed them pics they sent a new pair out immediately with no questions asked.

I leave a pair next to my chair, one next to the bed, one on my office desk and one in the car. That way I can always lay my hands on a pair.

When my son was going off to sea we ordered him some to take away, including some prescription sunglasses and some photochromic ones for less that ?100 for 3 pairs.

I hope it saves someone some money. I certainly will never go back to the high street again.

Ian
                      "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                      "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

You can also use the high street to do your eye test and get prescription. Your under no obligation to buy glasses from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
                          Can I make a suggestion here guys. I only need glasses for reading, and only in the last couple of years. Rather than shell out for expensive glasses I use selectspecs.com and the last time I bought some in March I paid ?42.00 for 4 pairs including delivery all made up to my prescription. You just get the details off your prescription. Get a measurement for your PD (Pupillary Distance) and order online. 2 weeks later glasses appear from Hong Kong. I had one pair that were slightly chipped on the edge and when I emailed them pics they sent a new pair out immediately with no questions asked.

I leave a pair next to my chair, one next to the bed, one on my office desk and one in the car. That way I can always lay my hands on a pair.

When my son was going off to sea we ordered him some to take away, including some prescription sunglasses and some photochromic ones for less that ?100 for 3 pairs.

I hope it saves someone some money. I certainly will never go back to the high street again.

Ian
                          any idea if this works for people with a stigmatism?

Comment

Originally posted by HarmlessWeasel View Post
                            any idea if this works for people with a stigmatism?
                            Astigmatism (rugby shaped eyeballs) causes blurred vision the same as other conditions. It can be corrected by glasses in the normal way, or even surgery. I do know that if you have Astigmatism and you wear lenses then you need different lenses to cope with the curvature but glasses deal with it in the same way as other glasses.

http://www.selectspecs.com/info/FAQ/#outisde_range

or

http://www.selectspecs.com/info/help-with-prescription/

Correct me if I am wrong anyone?
                            "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                            "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Hi there,

As the other guys said take your glasses and tell the doctor of your eyesight. I'm with Clyde and during my ENG1 medical the doctor thought I was colour blind and told me I'd need to do the lantern test. I went to the MCA in Southampton for the Lantern Test not only did they say that I didn't need the test because I was an engineer but I wasn't colourblind at all.

All the best getting in mate, I'm sure you will do fine!

Comment

Working...
                              X