Interested in an incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interested in an incident

What reasons can cause connection rod to bend, something like in this old pic http://i.imgur.com/LjL9w.jpg
    Motorman

stuck piston is the usual hot favorite
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

How do they get stuck ? is it from overheating ?. And is this a crosshead or a trunk mechanism ?

Comment

@bum cross
        Motorman

Comment

it's a cross head engine, that what the bloody big lump is on the left of the photo sat on wood.

Also maybe the bottom end let go which can happen too.

Pistons get stuck for all sorts of bad reasons, over heating, lack of lubrication, exhaust valve falling off.....all sorts of reasons
          Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

A little light digging within the engineering mafi has yielded the following:-

Accident happened: 2003
            Description: Crank case explosion, during shop test, followed by a fire, the engine was damaged and scrapped totally.
            Engine: 12K98MCC
            Reason: A Crankshaft lifting bracket (round bar) was missed during checks before being mounted into the bedplate, and was left inside the centre hole of the crank shaft. *During engine running the lifting bracket (about 100mm round bar) moved sideways, was hit by a rotating con rod , shifted like a bullet to the neighboring cylinder and was completely blocking the passage of this con rod (in the photo).
            Several persons were injured.
            Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

Working...
            X