Diesel Electric Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Electric Report

Anyone know of a place I can find a good source of information about diesel electric engines and how they have become more and more popular?

Only been able to find short paragraphs on various websites so far.

Any information welcome.

Thanks

A book? I'd assume there are plenty of specific books on diesel electric propulsion in the college library, whichever one you're at. If you're at sea then obviously this is idiotic advice. Have you tried marineengineering.org for an overview? Or search for keywords in google scholar; should be able to find articles, book excerpts etc that relate.

Comment

theres quite a few articles on the imarest website if you have access

I take it you've looked at manufacturers website such as this one

http://www.mandieselturbo.com/000028...e-GenSets.html
      Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Economy of scale, matching engine power / use to actual consumption, no requirement for a shaft line so engine room can be anywhere and not in the traditional place, use of electric propulsion motors / azi pods. Environmental considerations, vibration and passenger comfort, to name but a few :-)

Depends on what your take / angle is for answering the question
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Haha yes, I am at sea at the moment! Think I've found what I need now

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
            Economy of scale, matching engine power / use to actual consumption, no requirement for a shaft line so engine room can be anywhere and not in the traditional place, use of electric propulsion motors / azi pods. Environmental considerations, vibration and passenger comfort, to name but a few :-)

Depends on what your take / angle is for answering the question
            Thanks for the suggestions, the question is left fairly open and just asked to give our overview of how we think diesel/electric has changed and can further change the industry. I have mentioned most of what you said but some very useful suggestions also.

Many thanks

Comment

According to MAN it kicks the arse out of gas turbines too. Although they would say that.
              http://www.man-gasturbine.com/files/...20turbines.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by mak View Post
                According to MAN it kicks the arse out of gas turbines too. Although they would say that.
                http://www.man-gasturbine.com/files/...20turbines.pdf
                It would be difficult to write a more partial bit of propaganda. Well done MAN!
                '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
                just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
                down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
                new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

Yeah I though it was pretty good. Like Winstanley's analysis of eddystone, only his design stood a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by mak View Post
                    Yeah I though it was pretty good. Like Winstanley's analysis of eddystone, only his design stood a chance.
                    No sure what you mean; I am mocking it as badly written guff.

Comment

Um, I suggest you google Winstanley and Eddystone Penfold. There are certain parallels.
                      Go out, do stuff

Comment

He built a lighthouse and it(and he) got washed away? I'm having a thick day; help me out someone? Am I furiously agreeing with Mak? I'm not sure; I think I need to lie down in a darkened room.

Comment

Working...
                        X