steam queens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steam queens

I know there are a few here, I have a quick question....just how important is the fuel temp on a pressure jet burner system....been a while since I had one and its giving my some hassle, good old spinning cup "just works" this bloody thing needs wet nursing every time you change the ER air pressure, start a genny, take a dump, sneeze near it etc, think a claim is gong in and the man with the clean blue boiler suit can come and sort it as plainly it was never set up right!
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Quite important because if it's not at the right temp then it wont be at the right pressure. I'd make the GC....
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Yeah, it's important, especially for flashing up, as if the viscosity is not right then the atomisation will not be right.

The general cleanliness of everything else including the combustion air swirl plate is pretty damned important too, so are all the distances between all the various bits and pieces, especially the burner tip and the swirl plate and the distances between / position of the electrodes.

Although the engine room air pressure does have an effect on pressure jet, it does sound as though it hasn't been set up correctly, but all of the distances should be in the manual, so check these as if they are not as per the manual and you put a claim in then they might suggest that you alter them without voiding any warranty which might solve the problem without the need for a man in a blue boiler suit.

Aaalborg?
      Go out, do stuff

Comment

Trust me checked all of it, we had just been delivered and had issues just after sailing from yard, it fired fine on MDO but wouldn't take the HFO looking at it the soark was good, and it sparkled until the spark stopped then it went out...looked like some one being heavy with a grinding wheel :-)

Suspected A/F ratio but calm thinking later made us suspect fuel temp....didn't help the 3 way flushing v/v was manually jacked in to flush to instead of circling to pencil tank it dumped to service tank.....some MDOmight have moved tanks! When we found that then found it also wired wrongly, all in all a bit of a cluster ****, had the tech down and loooo it wouldn't re do the same fault!

Yup Aalborg.....now Alfa Laval, what could go wrong with that marriage :-)
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

Trust me checked all of it, we had just been delivered and had issues just after sailing from yard, it fired fine on MDO but wouldn't take the HFO looking at it the soark was good, and it sparkled until the spark stopped then it went out...looked like some one being heavy with a grinding wheel :-)

Suspected A/F ratio but calm thinking later made us suspect fuel temp....didn't help the 3 way flushing v/v was manually jacked in to flush to instead of circling to pencil tank it dumped to service tank.....some MDOmight have moved tanks! When we found that then found it also wired wrongly, all in all a bit of a cluster ****, had the tech down and loooo it wouldn't re do the same fault!

Yup Aalborg.....now Alfa Laval, what could go wrong with that marriage :-)
          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

If it's trying to light then it does sound like fuel temp. I know I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs here, but if you have had a fair bit of diesel contamination then drop the temp right down and see where you go from there.
            Go out, do stuff

Comment

He he all help welcome, have asked office but they can be a bit slow :-)

The non lighting was before the mdo contamination, that happened cos we changed to mdo to get us going and the 3 way flushing valve was gagged in dump to hfo service position, only supposed to go over for the time it takes to flush from hfo to mdo and vice versa ( and thus slow the temp to rise or fall accordingly) which is why an amount of mdo "vanished" well actually it didn't I know where it is :-) just isn't where it should be , the fuel is currently thickening back up as evidenced by the ME visco temp climbing so think i have al the mdo out now, just getting the damn thing to settle now and i'll a bit happier :-)
              Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

Working...
              X