X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PaulBigley
    replied
    There's talk that the engineering drawing module is to be scrapped. Nonetheless,
    As I've just passed my drawing module a few weeks ago at glasgow you will need .

Large set square set
    Set of drawing pencils ( 6h to 6b is recommended)
    Protractor
    Good sharpener and eraser
    A decent rule
    Set of compass
    Set of circles (more useful than a compass at times)
    Drawing clips.

I got all mine from amazon for fairly cheap.

As for books, the reeds naval architecture and ship constructurn books are pretty handy. I have pdf copies of a number of textbooks and I can add you to my Dropbox if you wish. They are very useful.

Leave a comment:

• Ems
    replied
    Perfect Alex thanks

Leave a comment:

• alex4twenty
    replied
    It means the larger set squares for technical drawing on A3, plus soft and hard pencils can't remember the numbers and circle stencils or a compass. There's an art shop on Stockwell street across from the college called millers that does a student discount and has all the stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Ems
    replied
    Thanks G.

Leave a comment:

• GHedges
    replied
    Originally posted by Ems View Post
    Can anyone advise what is required in the geometry set Glasgow college has on its list of required equipment. Or even better recommend a set as those I can see on the likes of Amazon look cheap and way too easy to break.

Many thanks
    Ems
    Can't talk for Glasgow, but a compass, protractor and a couple of set squares should be what they mean. Plus a rule of course.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Ems
    replied
    Can anyone advise what is required in the geometry set Glasgow college has on its list of required equipment. Or even better recommend a set as those I can see on the likes of Amazon look cheap and way too easy to break.

Many thanks
    Ems

Leave a comment:

• Bash
    replied
    This thread has been dead for a while but I just wana recommend Olight torches. https://olightworld.com/store/flashlight.html They are small, bright and the magnet in the tail is super useful in the engine room! I have used one of the older Baton models through 4 contracts now and it shows no sign of failing even after a couple of oil baths and various falls.

Leave a comment:

• Ma Goose
    replied
    Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
    No one provides them, they will have them in the library
    Thanks Chiefy - was thinking as a starter pack to get 2 of the HD McGeorge books - the general engineering knowledge ( though third edition is 1991 - is it still current?) and the marine Auxilliary machinery one, and the DA Taylor Introduction to Marine Engineering. Is that a reasonable starter combo or would you add or replace any of these? Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Chiefy
    replied
    No one provides them, they will have them in the library

Leave a comment:

• Ma Goose
    replied
    Does anyone know if Fleetwood provide any of the above recommended books? Just double checking before purchasing for son starting FD engineering in a couple of weeks . Thanks

Leave a comment:

• JSTORM
    replied
    Haha that'll be coming with me regardless! Portable movies and pdfs for fault finding! I figured I could use the company issue stuff as spares or for crappy jobs

Leave a comment:

• Chiefy
    replied
    Let me know if you get issued a company ipad, so I can send my application in

The ppe will be useful and as a cadet...... Free stuff

Leave a comment:

• JSTORM
    replied
    This is a great list re books, thanks!

My boss has just given me a load of new kit to keep off our last job (maybe a week old tops). two bacho shifters(8" & 12"), comfy tan safety boots, ear defenders (Peltor Optime III), a couple of pairs of knee pad inserts (haven't gotten a company boiler suit so not sure if they'll fit) and an iPad among other things. Can I use this as a cadet or do I need to use the company issue stuff?

Leave a comment:

• Dosedmonkey
    replied
    You don't need to spend a fortune buying LED torches, best to go look in camping shops, they usually have good ones for very cheap.

I used to buy LED Lensers for a fortune, and they kept breaking on me, excluding the amazing head torch of theirs. But I spend ?15 and got a torch as good as their ?40 ones. And as a cadet you don't need anything that flash, you can get good ones for a couple of pounds!

Only example:

Leave a comment:

• Dosedmonkey
    replied
    The other marine engineering series ones are pretty good too.

Diesel Engines, A.J. Wharton & General Engineering Knowledge, another H D McGeorge book.

In that series they also have steam boilers book and a instrument and control book that I know of.
    Imarest also have some other advanced books for different diesel engines.

Mentioned previously by Clanky was http://marinediesels.info/, Rollo Tompkins website, he also has a set of books, but these are more suited to 2nd and Chiefs exams. Some of his Q&A answers are taken from the books mentioned above.

A lot of these you can get on Kindle now too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X