Announcement

Collapse

SITE UPGRADE

We've just performed a major upgrade to the forum software. You may have noticed things look a bit different!

Please note that some features have yet to be reinstated, this will be done over the next few days. Attachments, pictures and signatures may not function as they should for the time being.

Thanks for your patience!
See more
See less

Engineer Recommendations

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the curriculum for engine cadet cover any aspects specific to electrical engineering?

Comment

Hello there, I am currently around half way through my 3rd Phase at College in Glasgow studying on the Professional Diploma route (Foundation degree in England)

In phase 1 the only electrical based subject we did was Single Phase electrics

However in Phase 3 we are covering Electrical Machine Principles which is mainly about different types of motors, 3 Phase electrics, Marine Electrical engineering which is mainly about safety etc, Controllers & Transducers and Electrical Motor drive systems.

Phase 3 covers a lot of electrical engineering and in actual fact I could obtain an HNC in electrical engineering if I wished by doing only about 3 more courses and sitting the graded unit, however I don't really have the time to combine this with my study.

Any other questions about subjects covered then ask away, more than happy to help
      Newly qualified Officer #ClubMember

Comment

The cadet syllabus and indeed the second and chief engineer syllabi (sp?) cover electrical engineering in some depth. Many ships don't carry leckies and the engineers deal with electrical problems.
        Go out, do stuff

Comment

Can't speak for elsewhere but at STC in phase 1 & 3 you also do electrical workshop to fill in the (gaping) holes left by the theory part of the electrics.

Comment

Some good recommendations from DosedMonkey here.

Originally posted by Dosedmonkey View Post
            Depends what you are interested in,

Theres a good practical engineering one, I saw one copy of it in the shields library other week, Imarest N.E. Chell book; Operation and Maintenance of Machinery on Motorships.

A good overall basic marine mechanical/equipment introduction book there is D.A. Taylor, Introduction to Marine Engineering. This is in the library.

If your looking for something more ETO related, I'm sure Chris can recommend you something.
            Depends how much you understand already though, basic electrical books go there are two main marine ones,
            - Marine Electrical Equipment and Practice, H.D. McGeorge

- Practical Marine Electrical Knowledge, D.T. Hall (This is in the library)
            Go out, do stuff

Comment

The other marine engineering series ones are pretty good too.

Diesel Engines, A.J. Wharton & General Engineering Knowledge, another H D McGeorge book.

In that series they also have steam boilers book and a instrument and control book that I know of.
              Imarest also have some other advanced books for different diesel engines.

Mentioned previously by Clanky was http://marinediesels.info/, Rollo Tompkins website, he also has a set of books, but these are more suited to 2nd and Chiefs exams. Some of his Q&A answers are taken from the books mentioned above.

A lot of these you can get on Kindle now too.

Comment

You don't need to spend a fortune buying LED torches, best to go look in camping shops, they usually have good ones for very cheap.

I used to buy LED Lensers for a fortune, and they kept breaking on me, excluding the amazing head torch of theirs. But I spend £15 and got a torch as good as their £40 ones. And as a cadet you don't need anything that flash, you can get good ones for a couple of pounds!

Only example:
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/FordEx-Group...ords=LED+Torch

Comment

This is a great list re books, thanks!

My boss has just given me a load of new kit to keep off our last job (maybe a week old tops). two bacho shifters(8" & 12"), comfy tan safety boots, ear defenders (Peltor Optime III), a couple of pairs of knee pad inserts (haven't gotten a company boiler suit so not sure if they'll fit) and an iPad among other things. Can I use this as a cadet or do I need to use the company issue stuff?

Comment

Let me know if you get issued a company ipad, so I can send my application in

The ppe will be useful and as a cadet...... Free stuff
                    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Haha that'll be coming with me regardless! Portable movies and pdfs for fault finding! I figured I could use the company issue stuff as spares or for crappy jobs

Comment

Does anyone know if Fleetwood provide any of the above recommended books? Just double checking before purchasing for son starting FD engineering in a couple of weeks . Thanks

Comment

No one provides them, they will have them in the library
                          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
                            No one provides them, they will have them in the library
                            Thanks Chiefy - was thinking as a starter pack to get 2 of the HD McGeorge books - the general engineering knowledge ( though third edition is 1991 - is it still current?) and the marine Auxilliary machinery one, and the DA Taylor Introduction to Marine Engineering. Is that a reasonable starter combo or would you add or replace any of these? Thanks

Comment

This thread has been dead for a while but I just wana recommend Olight torches. https://olightworld.com/store/flashlight.html They are small, bright and the magnet in the tail is super useful in the engine room! I have used one of the older Baton models through 4 contracts now and it shows no sign of failing even after a couple of oil baths and various falls.

Comment

Can anyone advise what is required in the geometry set Glasgow college has on its list of required equipment. Or even better recommend a set as those I can see on the likes of Amazon look cheap and way too easy to break.

Many thanks
                                Ems

Comment

Working...
                                X