good career choice or not??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good career choice or not??

Hi I am due to start my engineering cadetship in September but am seriously starting to have second thoughts. I know some people will say to worry about getting through the cadetship first before even thinking about a job...but I don't particularly want to waste 3 years of my life studying my ass of to chase a career path in a job market that sounds atrocious.

On paper it seems like the perfect career for me...Im ambitious, I enjoy working on engines and machinery, I enjoy being at sea and im not gonna lie I quite like the idea of only working for half a year and earning decent money. The problem im having is that all I ever seem to hear or read about is newly qualified officers and even officers with experience really struggling to get jobs or stay in jobs with long periods of time. Can anyone give me there honest opinion on whether I should continue to pursue this career or not...

Many thanks for your replies

Who are you gonna be sponsored by? Ideally you want a shipping company that will take you on after you qualify, I know PG, BP, RFA etc do that quite regularly. If not, just try your ass off when you're at sea and make a good impression on the officers, if you do that then you're more likely to get a job with them if a position comes up, thats how I got the job I do at the moment. I love the career path I have chosen, I've had no regrets so far, but then again I managed to find a job shortly after I qualified.

My class of 7 graduated in November 2017, there's 4 of us with full time jobs, 1 doing temp contracts, and 2 yet to find a job. Take that with a pinch of considering one of the them isnt actively looking, and the other only wants to work on cruise ships.

Comment

I think the engineering market is not quite as bad jobs wise as it is for deck. Also the skills are more transferable to shore based positions so I wouldn't be too discouraged.

Having said that, as mentioned try and get a cadetship with a company who will employ you afterwards

Comment

I got bored working at sea (for now) as an engineer so put my CV out and got inundated with job offers for decent shore based engineering roles. At 24 I’m now in a power station working essentially 45% of the year, but if I wanted I could jack it in tomorrow and join a large American cruise line who have given me an open ended “join us when you’re ready as we really want experienced British engineers” offer. Not a bad position to be in just 3-4 years after finishing my cadetship.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
          I got bored working at sea (for now) as an engineer so put my CV out and got inundated with job offers for decent shore based engineering roles. At 24 I’m now in a power station working essentially 45% of the year, but if I wanted I could jack it in tomorrow and join a large American cruise line who have given me an open ended “join us when you’re ready as we really want experienced British engineers” offer. Not a bad position to be in just 3-4 years after finishing my cadetship.
          Sounds like you're in a good position, whats pay like working at a power plant and is it any good?

Comment

Pretty good job so far! Almost too good to be true if I’m honest, so slightly on edge waiting for the bad part. Pay is the worst part, at my level it’s £35k but I don’t have to do much to earn it. I can do overtime in my time off (it’s 1 week on 1 week off roughly) and boost that if I wanted. I’m the third marine engineer here.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
              Pretty good job so far! Almost too good to be true if I’m honest, so slightly on edge waiting for the bad part. Pay is the worst part, at my level it’s £35k but I don’t have to do much to earn it. I can do overtime in my time off (it’s 1 week on 1 week off roughly) and boost that if I wanted. I’m the third marine engineer here.
              If earning 35k at 24 years old for a job that you work 45% of the year is the worst part of the deal then you're definitely winning.

Comment

Working...
              X