Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballast Water Management Convention (Oh and sediment)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballast Water Management Convention (Oh and sediment)

To anyone fitted with Ballast Water treatment systems onboard:

How is reliability the reliability / op performance of them ?
    What sort of systems have people seen retrofitted onboard?

Seems to be an industry wide problem with Port State control inspections on discharge. Anyone had any bad experiences?

To answer both a huge pain in the butt

Good intentions miss placed and ill considered, can't even flood double bottoms and more as the filter type systems need to have the water pumped through them, gravity just won't cut it. So you need to use energy to ballast and deballast on the pumping plus and energy used for actual sterilisation or filtration.

Reliability......ha ha ha ha ha ha, sucks, rubbish, crap, total pain in the rear
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

I feel your pain Chiefy.

We have a filter & UV system, 2 in fact, and other than ironing out the issues with a brand new ship it works very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      If you can't laugh, you shouldn't have joined!!

Comment

Have you tried it in Bremerhaven, yang shan (new shanghia) or anywhere where the river is basically liquid mud, the performance drops dramatically on the filters usually they are then in back flush for 50% plus of the time.

If I'm honest they can work well, one class had them and they just worked once we got team deck used it using them and ironed out a few other issues, however on current boat the pumps are badly miss matched and teaching the end users has been......challenging to put it mildly. However vendor support has been worse than rubbish and the damn things eat manpower, they will eventually come good once we get past these issues but at the current time etc they are a massive pain in the testicles.

And I still think that creating more emissions to prevent invasive species is sort of 0-0 on the environment score
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

I can imagine mud will cause it no end of a headache, we run between Rotterdam and the Baltic and so far all ports we have visited have not been a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          If you can't laugh, you shouldn't have joined!!

Comment

Working...
          X