Announcement

Collapse

SITE UPGRADE

We've just performed a major upgrade to the forum software. You may have noticed things look a bit different!

Please note that some features have yet to be reinstated, this will be done over the next few days. Attachments, pictures and signatures may not function as they should for the time being.

Thanks for your patience!
See more
See less

Going to sea as a rating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to sea as a rating

Not 100% sure if this is the right area to post this so if i'm wrong i apologise.

I finished the majority of my cadetship in October 2016. All i need to do is pass my IAMI and oral exam. My problem is that due to family issues since leaving college, my career at sea unfortunately took a back seat. I'm now in a position where i can return to finish my exams but i feel extremely rusty and not at all confident in passing the exams due to it being so long since i've been anywhere near a ship. I've been in contact with my training company and unfortunately they told all there was to do was to try and book myself onto the IAMI prep course at my own expense or to go to sea as a rating.

So my question is, what exactly must i do to be able to go to sea as a rating? I noticed on the gov.uk website and job advertisements for ratings that they require a ratings certificate to be able to sail as a rating. Would my credentials so far as a cadet be sufficient to get a ratings certificate? and if so are there actually many jobs for British ratings?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Take a look at MSN 1863 - this outlines the requirements you need to get your AB ticket. I’d imagine you’ll have all the workbook tasks in the annex signed in your TRB somewhere.

There’s loads of British ratings employed offshore and on ferries.

Comment

I would like to ask similar question, or maybe more like advice. I got my officer of the engine watch licence 5 months ago and after sending countless emails and applications i starting to realize that it's going to be hard to find company that is willing to hire 35 year old inexperienced 4th engineer since everybody looking someone with experience. I was wondering if i should accept position for motorman/oiler and then hope for promotion to 4th engineer after 1-2 contracts? Every advice is appreciated. Sorry if my English is not good.

Comment

British ratings aren’t exactly a great bunch of people for learning or brushing up on your skills, I’d say you’d hinder yourself gaining a motormans job. The IAMI prep courses are incredibly useful, crash courses from basics upwards, they’ll cover everything from regs to tank sensors to boiler gauge glasses to purifiers to taking over a watch; I’d say that’s your best shot, then once you have your ticket you can try for the officers jobs or get motormen jobs to increase your chances.

Oh, and I work on Ferries with British ratings and new entrants (permanent or agency) need the new MM ticket; which requires sea time and completion of the red TRB. So as a cadet you wouldn’t be allowed to sail as a motorman in a British company at least.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
          British ratings aren’t exactly a great bunch of people for learning or brushing up on your skills, I’d say you’d hinder yourself gaining a motormans job. The IAMI prep courses are incredibly useful, crash courses from basics upwards, they’ll cover everything from regs to tank sensors to boiler gauge glasses to purifiers to taking over a watch; I’d say that’s your best shot, then once you have your ticket you can try for the officers jobs or get motormen jobs to increase your chances.

Oh, and I work on Ferries with British ratings and new entrants (permanent or agency) need the new MM ticket; which requires sea time and completion of the red TRB. So as a cadet you wouldn’t be allowed to sail as a motorman in a British company at least.
          Can you still sail as a MM with an EOOW ticket?

Comment

Yea we’ve had EOOWs sail with us as MM to get their experience/bank balance up recently, so EOOW tickets must be a recognised equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
              Yea we’ve had EOOWs sail with us as MM to get their experience/bank balance up recently, so EOOW tickets must be a recognised equivalent.
              Ah I see, thought with the new MM ticket maybe some companies were only accepting a true MM CoC.

Comment

Working...
              X