Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfa Laval FOPX 605

Hi all,

Major overhaul just done, now getting a bit of water out of the casing drain when the bowl sludges. Didn't do this before and I've checked all the obvious, orings, bowl speed, water pressure etc. Alfa laval have told me this is normal but I'm a bit skeptical as I defiantly have more water weeping out when the bowl sludges that before. Anyone els ehad similar?

Is the machine running alarm free? Where does the water end up? If yes and in a scuper, monitor and move on........its a purifier it's running....quit while ahead it'll let you know if it's unhappy ,honest it will
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Yes alarm free - yes goes to bilge. Didn't do this before but pulled out a load of sh*te from the lower casing which probably absorbed a bit of the water.

Comment

In that case it's time for some meaningful and manly inaction, a watching brief.....you never know now it's clean it might be working like what it should have all along and the no water scenario is the wrong one .....? TFA on this one my friend
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

I am definitely with chiefy on this one, you have probably unblocked nozzles which were previously supplying only juat enough water to open and close the bowl, now that they are unblocked you will get a littlw overflow until they becomw partially bloackwd again and thw purifier operates without spraying a bit.

Similar to the way that T/C nozzle rings are alway made a little too big so that they operate at max efficiency when they are a littlw bit dirty.
          Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
            I am definitely with chiefy on this one, you have probably unblocked nozzles which were previously supplying only juat enough water to open and close the bowl, now that they are unblocked you will get a littlw overflow until they becomw partially bloackwd again and thw purifier operates without spraying a bit.

Similar to the way that T/C nozzle rings are alway made a little too big so that they operate at max efficiency when they are a littlw bit dirty.
            I'll have a pint of what you are drinking Clanky......! LOL

Ian
            "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.

"Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

I have no idea what this thing is but it conjures up in my mind of something that's a sieves s**t and and a manure sprayer. So what is it? Just simple terms will do, none of this techy engineery stuff.

Comment

It's a centrifugal seperator for fuel/oil - it removes the **** from the fuel/oil so that it doesnt f*ck the machinery.
                “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
                myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Thank you, so it removed s**t from something then , just not the s**t I was thinking of

Comment

We use similar models and water weep is totally normal, it's more worrying when it stops... you're then 45 mins from sludge failure

Comment

Any update? Is it still runnimg away happily?
                      Go out, do stuff

Comment

Yes it's still running away alright, but I'm still not convinced!

I spoke with a pretty helpful guy at Alfa laval who emailed me an old service circular. The service engineers had an approved modification where they drilled out holes in the housing to the lower casing where the bearings for the vertical shaft are housed, to equalize some pressures as he said they had sludging issue on some of the bigger models. Not much help to me but interesting anyway.

I probably wouldn't be so fussy about it if the area around it hadn't just been painted brilliant white !

Comment

Leave it alone, it's.like a scab it won't improve if you pick at it...... If you want take a water. In oil.test before and after, and if you have a cat fine tester (2 bits of glass or and xfr machine) run that otherwise...... Step away.........
                          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

Working...
                          X