What do electro technical actually do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do electro technical actually do

What is the daily routine for a electro technical On a cruise ship. What do they actually do
    Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

As a junior ETO it will be a little of everything and then after a while you would normally be assigned specific duties such as E/R maintenance, elevators (lifts) or the galley, however depending on what is happening at the time your specific tasks will be different every day.
    Go out, do stuff

Comment

I used to hang out quite frequently with the ETO's when I was CO on Cruise Ships and would say its broken down into the following:

3ETO - Lifts, Lifts, Lifts and some bridge stuff and Galleys / Waste disposal machines breaking down every 5 seconds
      2ETO - Lifts, escalators, ER stuff
      1ETO - Comms, (if no Comms officer onboard), Bridge stuff and lots of Paperwork
      SETO - Paperwork, planned maintenace (issue and follow up) and major issues in ER
      Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

Just joining a ship as a junior eto outside the cruise ship world so I'll let you know. A lot of the job is planned maintenance but you also act as first line support when something complicated like the dp breaks. Better that the eto tightens the connections and changing cards etc before the expensive service engineer is flown in.

On my first ship asa cadet, which carried quite basic electricians, the autopilot stopped talking to the steering gear. Quite an easy fix for an eto, relay failed, but a good callout charge for the man from anschutz.
        Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

The role outside of cruise ships is really varied, mostly as it can be very ship specific.

The biggest difference is that you will spend time lamping up, its not the best job but it does keep you fit, after that it is planned maintenance and routine checks or performance tests. After all that comes fixing pretty much anything with wires on it or if something mechanical isn't working but it has wires near it telling the engineer to do it themselves.
          you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Ours also spent numerous hours changing little light bulbs on various indicator panels on the bridge - until he eventually got fed up and gave us a bunch so we could change them ourselves. Also spent a lot of time rebooting equipment that crashed or otherwise "just stopped working".

Ohh and he electrocuted me last year moving a switch...
            “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
            myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

seen a deck officer blow fuses on panels on the bridge before that was fun

was the switched marked 'watchkeeper motivator'

Comment

Originally posted by ETwhat? View Post
                seen a deck officer blow fuses on panels on the bridge before that was fun

was the switched marked 'watchkeeper motivator'
                Nah was a light switch for dimming lights on chart table - it looked ugly & out of place so he was replacing it with another one - last time I ever listened to his instructions... "just hold that bit while I pull it out"
                “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
                myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Ah, I had some friends like that ugly and out of place however I didn't actually need to electrocute them.

Comment

Originally posted by ETwhat? View Post
                    Ah, I had some friends like that ugly and out of place however I didn't actually need to electrocute them.
                    The shock itself wasn't as bad as the massive tear down my arm as I subsequently yanked my arm out from behind the console screaming obscenities and ripped the length of my arm open on edge of one of the brackets that holds the panels in place...

– Mark Twain

Comment

Bit late but i'm a 3rd ETO on a cruise ship, here's what i done yesterday;

0700 - breakast (eggs benedict, croissants, fresh orange juice, some bacon and a sausage)
                      0800 - start work, give my two lift technicians their jobs and permits (planned monthly maintenance on galley lift and aft stores hydraulic platform)
                      0830 - sort my own jobs out and plan my day, when sh!t will get done, with who, permits etc...
                      0900 - incinerator room hydraulic system electrical inspection (meggered 8 motors, checked load, p-p resistance, easy stuff, all planned maintenance)
                      1000 - smoko (half hour break, i took 45mins)
                      1045 - me and the cadet had a walk around the ship, perved on the shoppies and spa girls.
                      1110 - checked on lift technicians, made sure there were no issues, they didn't need help etc...
                      1130 - changed 4 detector heads which were in fault in the engine room
                      1200 - lunch (2 hours, slept, watched breaking bad, tossed one off)
                      1400 - same as 0800, gave guys new jobs, sorted out permits etc..
                      1415 - fire zone 7 detector head testing with the cadet
                      1530 - smoko (only took 30mins, too busy)
                      1600 - continued Z7 detector head testing
                      1630 - got called to main galley, pastry section had tripped off, reset breaker, noticed pulper was also tripped, someone had flung some animal bones in it, hence the overload.
                      1700 - checked in with lift guys, theyd found a lift safety edge OOO. job for me and the cadet in the morning (today, done)
                      1800 - closed permits, closed work orders from lift guys, closed my own work orders, planned a little for today (safety edge replacement, fire screen door defects, air handling unit motor inspection with ventilation officer)
                      1830 - gym
                      1945 - eat
                      2000 - chased dancers around all night trying to get a shag
                      0200 - bed, alone

Comment

Originally posted by coldo View Post

0700 - breakast (eggs benedict, croissants, fresh orange juice, some bacon and a sausage)
                        0800 - start work, give my two lift technicians their jobs and permits (planned monthly maintenance on galley lift and aft stores hydraulic platform)
                        0830 - sort my own jobs out and plan my day, when sh!t will get done, with who, permits etc...
                        0900 - incinerator room hydraulic system electrical inspection (meggered 8 motors, checked load, p-p resistance, easy stuff, all planned maintenance)
                        1045 - me and the cadet had a walk around the ship, perved on the shoppies and spa girls.
                        1110 - checked on lift technicians, made sure there were no issues, they didn't need help etc...
                        1630 - got called to main galley, pastry section had tripped off, reset breaker, noticed pulper was also tripped, someone had flung some animal bones in it, hence the overload.
                        1700 - checked in with lift guys, theyd found a lift safety edge OOO. job for me and the cadet in the morning (today, done)
                        1800 - closed permits, closed work orders from lift guys, closed my own work orders, planned a little for today (safety edge replacement, fire screen door defects, air handling unit motor inspection with ventilation officer)
                        1830 - gym
                        1945 - eat
                        0200 - bed, alone
                        Haha this is honestly what I can imagine a cruise ship to be like haha ! Hard life eh !

Comment

Originally posted by coldo View Post

1830 - gym
                          1945 - eat
                          0200 - bed, alone
                          sounds great
                          Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

Wonder if coldo has had any more luck attracting a dancer.

Eto work is pretty different on real world ships, food isnt as good but there are fewer lifts if any to repair. Spent today replacing an engine room floodlight, climbing the mast to change a signal light as well as some quick jobs like meggering motors from their starters. All required copious paperwork in the form of ptw and loto isolation. On the plus side, Ive not had to wake up in the night once for an alarm and the pays good. Free internet too.
                            Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Working...
                            X