Kit for Warsash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit for Warsash

Anything that I should take to Warsash that you guys and girls think would help during training ?

Asking this from a ETO point of view.

Originally posted by Quinzo View Post
    Anything that I should take to Warsash that you guys and girls think would help during training ?

Asking this from a ETO point of view.
    Surfboard?
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
      Surfboard?
      Surfing? In Warsash?? Hahaha.

The FD ETO course is new this year in Warsash so not too sure to be honest. General bits to bring with you have been covered on the forum before.

Maybe some Tyneside ETOs can recommend course-specific stuff.
      sigpic
      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Well all the specific books you need should be in the college library so all you really need is a scientific calculator (but not a graph plotting one).

Keep us informed about how you find the course, having just finished the course at Shields im interested to hear jow Warsash differs.
        Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

You don't really need any thing extra to help, i didn't find my self buying any thing the first year. There is one book that's amazing though and it called the "Practicle Marine Electrical Knowledge" (second edition) nice blue book, has most of the stuff you will cover at college and is helpful when it comes to reports for your TRB. It should be in your college library so you don't have to jump the gun and buy it yet

Comment

Some cadets get bought a copy of the book by their companies too.
            Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Thanks guys. Al happily keep you posted on how it goes/is

How was the course at Shields, Chris ?

Comment

I have a nike blue/orange backpack that I used for college, would this be alright for day to day carrying of books or would you recommend something else ? The colours might not fit in with the uniform though.

Comment

Its a book bag, not a fashion accessory!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Cheers...that helps a lot haha.

Comment

On paper the warsash course looks better than the shields one.

Comparing the two courses probably needs its own thread. The main problem with the shields course is the college management and the fd degree body Northumberland who made it very control theory heavy. The Warsash course seems to have less control theory and this time is used to learn about marine plant and the electrics inside instead.

Comment

There is actually the Practicle Marine Electrical Knowledge" (third edition) which was written by the same author Dennis T. Hall. Which was published Feburary 2014, so should be more up to date.

Comment

Yes they had the new book on board my last ship. ?80 for the hard back edition. Its essentially the old book with better diagrams and in colour.

Comment

I was able to find one for the price of ?50 which is the same as the older book in some places.

Comment

Thats my bad memory, I got confused with this excellent book http://www.witherbyseamanship.com/sh...s-etos-15.html which is ?75 not ?80 either.

Comment

Working...
                              X