Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ETO Info

Hi all,

Just had some general questions about being an ETO.

1) What does an ETO's daily tasks consist of (outside of cruise ships, I've already seen a 'Day in the life of...' for that)

2) To anybody who is a qualified ETO; do you like it? Do the pros outweigh the cons?

3) Do ETO's ever perform non-ETO duties like watchkeeping, chip and paint etc.

4) What is the average salary of an ETO?

Thanks in advance.

Not an ETO but here is the life of our ETOs on Ferries and RORO freight:

1) daywork only, no 4 on 8 off watches. Completing the weekly or monthly printed list of electrical planned maintenance such as checking motor insulation all over the ship, testing things like crew personal electronics, radar checks etc. Completing breakdown maintenance such as easy light changes to removing and reinstalling engine control components. Assisting engineers by isolating and removing wiring of motors which need to be removed, some ETOs are expected to do motor removals but in my experience they only did the isolation.

2) I’m yet to see an unhappy ETO.

3) no, not really. They’re often very busy with electrical items, being the only ETO or one of two on non-cruise vessels.

4) on Ferries the starting salary was £32k post cadetship, raising to around £38k after 6 months then around £42k after a year and something like £48k once you’re 3 years in. With seniority some were on £53k odd.

Comment

On tankers...

1) Daywork as above, and pretty much self-managed. Really need to be 'available' and work through the Planned Maintenance tasks. Most commonly to be found changing insulation wires or - yes - lightbulbs. But there is a lot of involvement on the electrical side of engine room work. I have seen a few that did sweet f-all and others that were run off their feet. I found that when anything 'serious' went wrong this was typically a send it ashore job so they were doing lots of installing/removing work (at least on the bridge) rather than actually taking things apart!

2) I have seen plenty of unhappy ETOs! I mean, not seriously unhappy.. But guys that look and sound like they have the weight of the world on their shoulders. That said, they have always been a good laugh.

3) Never seen it. I don't think(?) they are qualified watchkeepers?

4) Would earn 38k post cadetship with my company which was higher than a new Deckie or Engineer. However, was reasonably capped by lack of prospects. Good money at a young age though!

Comment

Thanks for your responses.

1) When you say daywork is that like 6 to 6 or 9 to 5 sort of thing?

3) What is the relationship like between ETO's and the other departments due to this? Any friction or resentment because they don't do watches, clean the bilge tank etc

Comment

Cruise ETO cadet here,

I haven't seen any rivalry between the watchkeepers and ETO, but maybe I'm lucky onboard my ship here - everyone seems appreciative of the work the ETOs are doing, it really feels like a team.

Our maintenance is ship-wide and accommodates the bridge, ECR, engine room, galley, hotel and elevators - we get to work with a lot of people and I think that contributes to the good atmosphere in that there's very little ambiguity about what we actually do.

Day-work for us is 0700-1800, with two members of the electrical department on-call for breakdowns and lamp failures. (On cruise, so we have dedicated lampoonists)

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by BeeritimeStudies View Post

1) When you say daywork is that like 6 to 6 or 9 to 5 sort of thing?

3) What is the relationship like between ETO's and the other departments due to this? Any friction or resentment because they don't do watches, clean the bilge tank etc
            1) daywork in my companies ranged from 0600-1800, 0800-1700, 1200-0000 late shift and all of those were on call when they were off shift. If they worked 12 hours finishing at 1800, and got called out of bed for a critical engine room fault at 2300 they'd work to get whatever fixed, then take that time off their next shift. I've seen ETOs work their 12 hour shift, get woken up at 1am and worked until 11am on a fault. It's a tiring life being the hero.

2) what happened to question 2

3) ETOs have always been popular on my ships, as they're good to have on your side if your TV or bathroom light goes out... they're popular in all departments as they work everywhere as already mentioned. Nobody thinks low of them for avoiding watches and bilge cleaning, as their job has the capability of being infinitely more difficult than anyone elses onboard, especially if they are sole ETO as found on most ships.

Comment

OK Thanks guys.

agibbs98 the number of your responses I was...well, responding to lol.

Argus

I take it you work the same rotation as the other depts?

Comment

Beeritime, we are day-shift only and do not hold a watch. However, at least one ETO is present for arrival and departure in the ECR and we are, of course on call for emergencies.

??????Why do you want to become an ETO, have you made your decision?

Comment

I'm choosing what type of cadetship to go for and leaning toward ETO. Just want to make an informed decision. Thanks for your responses.

Comment

Working...
                  X