Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 all round green lights ( if seen from starboard then 4 green lights)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 all round green lights ( if seen from starboard then 4 green lights)

Anyone can tell me about 3 all round green lights in a vertical line are used for which type of vessel. One I know is for vessel crossing singapore TSS, and I am not refering to mine clearance vessel, in some exceptional circumstances you can see 3 lights in vertical line but that's not practical. Who would like to go that close to mine clearance vessel. This card was shown in my oral examination, later at the end I asked the examiner but his answer was not satisfactory, as he explained some kind of training vessel.

Was it just 3 green and nothing else? The only other thing I could think of would be a vessel engaged in underwater operations seen from the starboard side under way and making way and clear to pass on that side. Although one of those lights would be a sidelight and there would be the other associated lights for a RAM vessel.

Did you do on your orals in the UK? Not a question I've seen in any orals reports I've read recently (currently doing my chief mates so been looking at rules and stuff a lot recently).

Comment

I am doing my exams from Pakistan for class 3. It was not RAM that would be showing RAM lights too as these are also all round lights. The card was three green lights in vertical line behind the middle green light there was a white light just beside them and then down below there was one more green light that was side light. I was sure it's not mine clearance but there was no other choice so I said it like mine clearance vessel less than 50m underway seen from stbd.

Comment

Can you draw it for us in MS Paint or something?

Comment

I dont know how to draw it here or share picture here. I can explain card for you. Vertically in line 3 green lights and behind them a white light next to 2nd green light and down below another green light that seems to me a side light. That's an irrelevant card, I haven't read anything about it in any rule or in any Annex. But was curious that if someone might have seen it and can explain.

Comment

G
            G W G
            G

G

Something like above?

Comment

The card is incorrect, the minesweeper lights are req'd to be as a triangle when seen from ahead.

So the side view of what I think the card is trying to show would be:

G
              G W

G

Comment

G
                g w
                g

g

Comment

Minesweeper or whatever the round greens are with an overtaking sailing vessel could that be the small green light? Showing its starboard side, my best guess!

Comment

Vessels crossing the TSS and Precautionary areas in the Singapore Strait are recommended to display the night signals consisting of 3 all-round green lights in a vertical line.

Pretty sure this is the answer, however not a question asked in UK orals.

Comment

Rule 27(f) states:

'A vessel engaged in mine clearance operations shall in addition to the lights prescribed for a power driven vessel in Rule 23 or for a vessel at anchor in Rule 30 as appropriate, exhibit three all-round green lights or three balls. One of these lights or shapes shall be exhibited near the foremast head and one at each end of the foreyard...........'

So from what you have drawn above it appears to be an attempt to displaying a vessel engaged in mine clearance operations, underway, viewed from the starboard side. I believe the three green lights are derived from Rule 27(f) and the remaining green and white from Rule 23. I think the examiner put the wrong lights up (or maybe he was just testing you).

Comment

Working...
                      X