DP Basic... is there any point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP Basic... is there any point?

I've established what everyone else already knew... there are NO jobs. But looking around there does seem to be at least some jobs for JDPO etc. So in the current climate what's everyones opinion on DP basic? Waste of money? Or could it possible increase the chances of getting a job?

Hey Fox,

I've had my ticket since December and still not sailed as an officer (I took one trip with a less than reputable company as an AB on a PSV in the promise that this was for familiarisation and I would be hastily promoted to 2nd, didn't happen!), I also thought getting my DP Basic would give me a better chance of getting work so with the few pennies I earned in my trip as an AB I went out and spent around ?1800 on a DP course (course, accomm, travel etc). Still not had as much as an interview from anyone and almost every offshore job I see they're looking for Full DP and normally experience in whatever operations they're carrying out, AH, pipe laying etc. Can I ask where you've seen the JDPO jobs and do they specifically say DP Basic as a minimum?

Comment

JDPO generally means they are looking for DP Advanced as a minimum at the moment. Honestly save your money and get some time under your belt first. A lot of the companies are laying people off now so it really isnt a good time to be going into the North sea.

Comment

DP is the most boring thing you'll ever do.

Comment

Originally posted by bobofinga View Post
          DP is the most boring thing you'll ever do.
          Agreed on that. I'm doing work on a non dp supply vessel at the moment and it's a hell of a lot more I teresting doing things without easy mode. Its only because I want to move into other things that I'm looking at going down the DP route.

Comment

Yeah I don't actually want to do DP in the long term but would stick it out if it would help me get a job in the short term. Clearly not....

Comment

Quite frankly if you had 6 months experience (the magic number I know) then i'd say maybe consider it but the way things are at the moment i'm sure the 2 grand you would spend doing the course (Fee+ hotels/travel etc) could be better spent as a float to tide you over until you get something.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgemonkey View Post
                Quite frankly if you had 6 months experience (the magic number I know) then i'd say maybe consider it but the way things are at the moment i'm sure the 2 grand you would spend doing the course (Fee+ hotels/travel etc) could be better spent as a float to tide you over until you get something.
                Thanks BridgeMonkey, this is the kind of advice I was looking for really and I think you're right. On with the search!

Comment

Its no problem. I know the struggle. I've been trying to get into it for the past year but its been a case of find something to keep me in beer tokens while I gain experience, do a bit of networking and find someone willing to take me on. Best piece of advice I can give you is that if you are viewing this as a career then look at this period of time as the new guy phase where you get all the naff jobs. Do it for long enough and at least you've done it and got some seatime out of it and who knows you might get the rockstar job after all.

Comment

Rockstar job? you're dreaming pal!

Comment

Originally posted by bobofinga View Post
                      Rockstar job? you're dreaming pal!
                      Ah you know what I mean!

Comment

the only rockstar job I've done is super yachts, great life, good money, good conditions. Offshore in terms of enjoyment is probably the worst, it's a job and you count the time until you get off whilst working hard, very hard. I wish I could earn the same amount of money and conditions as I'm on now yet be sailing a deep sea cargo ship, oh that would be cushy.... dreaming again.

Comment

Exactly. My view of working is that I get enough time off and money to do what I want on my leave. I'll work hard for that but I've done deep sea and I didn't particularly enjoy the being away for most of the year aspect

Comment

Working...
                          X